"The New York City Digital Photography Meetup Group" Message Board › Which Camera for Travel Snapshots?

Which Camera for Travel Snapshots?

A former member
Post #: 179
I visiting again Lisbon (x3), Barcelona (x2) and Madrid (x3) in late September this year for 2.5 weeks and decided I need to take another camera.

Taking 7D/50D along with the travel lens on this trip. What I looking for is some recommendations of a light pocket camera that I pull out and take some snapshots. Snapshots like what I am eating for dinner. Snapshots of friends or just take a quick photo of something I see. Many times I skip taking snapshot because I just do not want to pull the 7D body out of the camera bag and attached a lens, not worth the trouble or I just do not want to attract attention.

I would like the camera to have is a flash and able to shoot in RAW.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
Tony C.
user 8884482
New York, NY
Post #: 21
Bill:

I strongly recommend the Canon S95 or the Olympus XZ-1 as two of the best premium grade compact cameras. The S95 is extremely compact but the XZ-1 has a sharper, faster (f/1.8 to 2.5) and wider range zoom lens.

Both have built-in flash and both will shoot RAW. The Olympus XZ-1 received Digital Photography Review's (probably the most technically rigorous digital camera review site) highest rating among point and shoot cameras. In decent lighting, the XZ-1 will produce results very close to DSLR quality. For low light work without flash, the smaller sensors on these two cameras will be noisier (and have more detail smearing noise reduction) at high ISO ratings than a DSLR, but the very fast lens on the Olympus (along with in body image stabilization) will allow generally acceptable available light shots too.

The Canon G12 is also quite good, but it is considerably larger and heavier and will not meet your criteria for a "light pocket camera".

Hope this helps. You can find further info and extremely detailed reviews of these two and other cameras at the Digital Photography Review website: www.dpreview.com.

Tony Cheh