February 5 · 6:30 PM
This location is shown only to members
This weeks tech talk: Joe Banafato, my favorite Postgresql expert: Things that you might not have known Postgres can do.
NYC Python Meetup Open Office Hours:
Every Tuesday evening, 6:30-10PM at Fancy Hands, 135 Grand Street, 10013 http://fancyhands.com/
- Algorithm of the week (approx. 20 minutes): Julian Berman will review one algorithm of his choosing each week, discussing how it works, the big-O implications, and answering your questions. There will be a small bit of demonstrable code to download. Julian reserves the right to repeat sessions, or take a break on whatever weeks he chooses. To send suggestions on algorithms you wish to see covered, attach a comment to this meetup starting with "ALGORITHM SUGGESTION".
- One hour tech talk (45 to 60 minutes). A different speaker and topic each week, not just Python. To suggest topics, comment on this meetup starting with "TOPIC SUGGESTION". Topic will be announced on the meetup page prior to the event.
- Resume review, practice interviews, and career discussions/suggestions. A bunch of us are very experienced in these areas, and are more than happy to talk to you about your current skill set, the type of work you'd like to be doing, and ways to progress along your path. A trusted recruiter may be present on certain weeks, to give similar advice. There will be no solicitation of any kind. You must approach the recruiter and state that you want their assistance finding a job. S/he won't solicit you.
- Random geeky fun: Bring your code and/or questions about any geeky topic, and there will most certainly be someone present who can help. To give us a heads-up that you're coming and need help in a particular area, comment here starting with "NEED HELP WITH X", for example: "NEED HELP WITH NGINX", "NEED HELP WITH DJANGO". The caps help me scrape this page automatically and send it to select people.
- Hiring managers and recruiters are not allowed. This event is only for developers. If however you are willing to hire (contract or employee status) a person new to the tech workforce (not for free, not an internship, for reasonable pay based on their experience and ability to learn) email me (strangest at comcast dot net) with a description of the skills you need. You'll be placed on the list of resume recipients. The subject should read "HIRING JUNIOR DEV". Resumes are never distributed without the prior consent of the developer.
Follow our twitter feed for updates: @NYCPythonMeetup . If Office Hours are full, we will make an effort to tweet this fact, so you can hang out nearby and pop in a bit later. The goal is to allow people to wander in and out, unlike a regular Meetup. If you get involved in conversation and it's crowded, feel free to take it to a local drinking establishment (we'll tweet your location so others can join you), and make room for people showing up for help.
Profuse thank-yous go to Jon Banafato of Fancy Hands ([masked]) for loaning us this space, and providing a small bit of pizza and beer during these events.
Thank you, and see you Tuesday night!