New York Open Statistical Programming Meetup Message Board › PlaceIQ - Data Scientist
New York, NY
Position: Data Scientist
Contact: Joseph Ranzenbach, firstname.lastname@example.org
PlaceIQ is a rapidly growing, venture funded “Big Data” business with a tremendous opportunity to become the market leader in the exploding location intelligence marketplace. Starting with an extensive library of unstructured/unrelated geospatial, temporal and social data, PlaceIQ transforms information into time and location context. Revolutionary techniques in data mining and machine learning at scale are being developed on a daily basis to uncover the reality of the world like no other company can.
Having already assembled an exceptionally skilled, diverse and passionate team of developers and data scientists, we are looking for world-class engineers that can (or are willing to learn how to…) do it all. From web front ends to regression models/classification algorithms, complex data visualizations to geospatial clustering, a full stack enterprise targeting platform to big data analytics, PlaceIQ software engineers live for huge challenges and know how to deliver in a fast paced, agile environment. Our unique culture breeds excellence and embraces creativity as we look to innovate and drive our business forward. If you have a passion for imagining and building technology solutions that will make an immediate impact in an untapped space, we want to talk to you!
We are a rapidly growing venture funded ‘Big Data’ business pursuing a tremendous opportunity to become the market leader in the exploding location intelligence marketplace.
PlaceIQ transforms time and location into context through a deep analysis of large amounts of often unstructured, unrelated, location based data including photos, place data, event data, digital and social data. This anonymous location context is used across a wide variety of markets, including our primary market, mobile advertising optimization.
We are hiring a Data Scientist to join our team.
The candidate will analyze PlaceIQ hyperlocal data sources to develop accurate predictions of audience and behavior. A mixture of analytical approaches will be employed including raw data mining (sql, nosql and programmatic approaches), data visualization, rules and supervised / unsupervised machine learning.
We deal with extremely large data sets requiring the design and development of highly memory and cpu efficient methods. We use a mixture of commercial, open source and home grown solutions. This role will require familiarity with tools such as R and languages such as Python.
Experience with horizontally scaling statistical algorithms via parallel processing methods is a plus. Experience with geospatial tools is a plus.
• Raw data analysis – assessing quality, cleansing, structuring for downstream processing
• Design and prototype of accurate and scalable prediction processes and programs
• Functional and technical documentation of designs
• Collaboration with software development team to implement software
• Oversight of production systems – monitor accuracy and performance, resolve issues
• Communication of results to partners and customers
• Creative and pragmatic analyst with a passion for understanding audience location and behavior
• Problem solving – ability to identify issues quickly and rapidly determine root cause and effective resolution approach
• Data analysis – very solid data analysis skills including application of analytical techniques such as statistics, graphical analysis, mathematical modeling and hypothesis testing
• Data management – familiarity with sql, nosql and programmatic techniques for manipulating data
• Business solution development – ability to ramp quickly on marketing / audience domain
• Software development - fundamental coding skills enabling building of small scripts and applications to implement support personal analytical work and develop prototypes for core company systems
• Communication - excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to communicate technical topics to non-technical individuals
• Execution - ability to manage own time and work effectively with others on projects. Working efficiently and delivering on commitments.
Education / Experience:
• Bachelors degree in Statistics/Applied Math/Computer Science, related field or equivalent work experience required
• Masters degree in Statistics, Applied Math strongly desired
• 2+ years relevant job experience
Compensation in cash and equity commensurate with the opportunity.