addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

NYLUG - New York Linux Users Group Message Board › Tons of demand for infrastructure talent hitting consumer-web space

Tons of demand for infrastructure talent hitting consumer-web space

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi NYLUG,

My name is Sabrina McGrail. I'm a technical consultant with Winter, Wyman & Company focused mainly in the NYC consumer web space. I joined the NYLUG group because my desk is actually focused around systems engineering/administration positions -mainly with Linux or companies migrating to the cloud. I wanted to start this discussion because I've recently seen a flood of mid to director level systems roles hit my desk.

My team and I run directly with executives and founders at a number of shops across the city. I'm happy to share the details of the roles I'm working on on a one-on-one basis but I can say that I am currently seeing infrastructure needs from a number of the First Round Capital and Amazon-backed companies we work with as well as with some of our more established media brands. I'm not industry specific but the demand I'm seeing ranges from social, mobile, and interactive-product to e-commerce, adtech and education. Companies have been reacting very competitively to infrastructure talent, paying a lot of attention to individuals with experience in Linux or AWS/EC2 environments with Perl/Python or bash scripting abilities and an interest in taking on the scalability challenges that come along with rapidly growing companies.

I'm sure that you likely see a number of recruiter emails weekly. I want to be upfront that I recognize most people that I reach out to are not actively exploring the market. I am always happy to simply have a passive conversation around the different positions that I'm seeing.

If anything that I mentioned sounds interesting please don't hesitate reach out. I would be happy to share the details. Feel free to respond directly to this discussion or message me with any interest, I'd be happy to respond with my direct contact information.

-Sabrina