NYLUG - New York Linux Users Group Message Board › Senior Linux Systems Administrator – New York City, NY
New York, NY
• Provide senior systems and networking expertise to the IT Operations team.
• Assist in ensuring 24/7 availability of key services and infrastructure in our production Linux environment.
• Respond to afterhours emergencies, lead the mitigation and resolution processes.
• Research, develop, and implement new systems configuration management technologies and practices.
• Develop internal documentation for key systems and services.
• Proactively monitor and audit the health and availability of systems.
• Develop tools and processes to automate tasks to help scale IT Operations.
• Participate in capacity planning.
• Help foster data collection practices that help ensure completeness and availability of technical infrastructure to support system performance.
• Establish and follow Operations best practices.
• Participate in scalability and growth decisions.
• Assist and support Development troubleshooting complex application issues.
• 5+ years experience with UNIX systems administration, with the 2 most recent years being Linux.
• BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience is required.
• Guru-level systems and networking expertise (strace/gdb/systemTap debugging, custom kernels, various firewalls and load balancers, IDS).
• Extensive experience with standard Linux/UNIX daemons (apache, ssh, cron, bind, ldap, heartbeat, syslog, ntp).
• Ability to write complex scripts in a major scripting language (Bourne, Python, Perl, ruby), and experience in a programming language (C/C++/Java).
• Demonstrated deep understanding of TCP/IP networking concepts.
• Understanding of config. management concepts/tools (bcfg2, cfengine, puppet, chef).
• Ability to diagnose complex networking issues using standard tools (tcpdump, wireshark, iptraf, smokeping, ntop).
• Extensive experience with and knowledge of virtualization technologies.
• Excellent written and communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and within a team.
• Time management skills and ability to meet deadlines.
• Recent experience handling on-call duties in a critical production datacenter.
• Ability and desire to mentor others, both within and outside the team.
• Specific experience with RedHat a very strong plus.
• Familiarity with ITIL best practices and ITIL certification a plus.
• Red Hat Certification (RHCE) is a plus.
• Experience with SAN storage technologies is a plus.
• Experience with virtualization and VMware technology is a plus.
• Experience with Splunk, R, logstash, gnuplot, and other data analysis/graphing tools.
• Experience with cloud computing (AWS) is a plus.
Please contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org 917-447-7323