NYLUG - New York Linux Users Group Message Board › Terminal-based Workflows tract starting at next week's hack workshop

Terminal-based Workflows tract starting at next week's hack workshop

James M.
user 47213362
New York, NY
Hey Guys,

If you feel uncomfortable working with the terminal for day-to-day tasks or you're stuck in IDE hell, NYLUG is running a free 5-session series of workshops designed at getting users up and running with a terminal-based workflow. Whether you're writing text files, managing data or developing software, the GNU/Linux software environment has lots of tools you might not have known about to make your life easier. Have you used source control to manage your blog posts? Replaced excessive (insert your least favorite multi-paradigm language here) glue code to handle hardware management with bash scripts? Played Vim golf (http://vimgolf.com/)­? Set fire to your mouse and join us .

Starting in the next workshop (Tuesday 2/26/2013) and running across 10 weeks, James will lead a co-ordinated series of lessons on everything from terminal navigation, the standard filesystem and text editing to terminal multiplexing, CRON, SSH, Git and Bash usage. Each workshop we'll run through the material and you'll be expected to complete the associated answers on your own time.

Whilst the course is still being finished, you can view the beta notes for the first workshop online at http://jamesmeldrum.github.com/TerminalWorkflows/­

The planned workshop for this date will continue as planned.

Best,

James Meldrum
Workshop Organizer - NYLUG
Alexander S.
alexstringel
New York, NY
Post #: 1
James,

These lessons look like a great "hit the ground running" intro to more advanced terminal operation and I would love to learn more about it. But, due to my schedule I can't attend Tuesday or Thursday meetups. Will this be screen-cast or recorded some how?

Thanks,
Alex
Brian G.
user 3018762
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 23
No, screencast/video in the plan. However, if they prove popular, I plan to ask James to do them again at a future date.

(To clarify, James envisions these sessions as interactive workshops.)

-Brian