Governors Island Guided Tour and Lunch
THIS EVENT IS BEING SPONSORED BY SEVERAL MEET UP GROUPS AND WWW.NEWYORKSOCIALNETWORK.COM. THE NUMBER OF RSVP'S BELOW REFLECT ONLY A PORTION OF THOSE ATTENDING.
Governors Island is one of the most interesting places to visit in NYC. It was once home to Native American tribes, then Dutch and British settlements, a strategic part of the American Revolution and the home for the U.S. Coast Guard for many years. Now the island is a historic goldmine that offers spectacular views of Manhattan and much more. Join a group of NYSN members and friends as we enjoy a special guided tour of the historic area of the island given by a Nation Parks Ranger. Following the tour we'll head over to the portion of the island that they are now developing into a park and enjoy a casual lunch at one of the many food pavilions. Following the tour and lunch you are welcome to stay and explore more on your own or head back to the city with the group.
How do I get there? Meet the group at the Battery Maritime Building at 10 South Street on the corner of South and Whitehall Streets in Lower Manhattan and next door to the Staten Island ferry terminal at 10:30am sharp.
What should I wear? Summer clothes, comfortable shoes, sunblock
What should I bring? bottled water
What if it rains? We will make a decision to go ahead or cancel the tour based on the forecast. Refunds will be given only if the tour does not happen.
Can I invite a friend? Most will come on their own but if you wish to invite a guest, please choose as many tickets as you would like.
Meet at The Battery Maritime Building
10 South Street
next to Staten Island Ferry
New York, NY, 10004
Directions to 10 South Street. Click here
Here are a few things that will help you enjoy the day more.
1. There may be rain. But you know many of these showers last only a short while. I will make a decision at 8:30am however MeetUp.com will be offline Sunday morning for website upgrade. You may need to contact me directly at [masked] or call[masked]-1098. I will be in the subway from 9:30-10:15am.
2. Meet the group in front of The Battery Maritime Building next the the Staten Island Ferry Terminal. Here are directions. Battery Maritime Directions Link . Please go to www.mta.info to check on weekend service changes so that you get there on time.
3. I will meet the group in front of the main entrance to the terminal between 10:15 and 10:30am. I will have a sign that says New York Social Network / Meet Up.
4. Bring your own lunch or you can purchase food at on of the food stands there.
5. If you have not pre-paid, please bring cash ($10) exact change would be appreciated.
6. If you can not find us, call me at[masked]-1098. If you are later than 10:30 I can not guarantee that you will get on the ferry.
7. The actual tour will last about an hour. Following the tour we will go to the newer parts of the island for food.
8. After lunch you are welcome to stay on the island and explore on your own, rent bikes or head back to NYC with the group.
I look forward to seeing you there.
Start Time: 10:30 am
End Time: 2:00 pm