Take a hike! Message Board › yikes!!!! ticks!!

yikes!!!! ticks!!

A former member
Post #: 1
Please everyone look for ticks when you hike/go home. I was in Nisene marks last Sunday and flicked two off my pants. My wife took off her shirt when we got home and found 3 IN her midsection.. yecchh!! I have heard about ticks my whole life. Seeing so many up close was a wake up call!!
A former member
Post #: 32
Thank you Chris, I bet you were both glad you took a good look!! I've been saying the same thing at the last few hikes, to check carefully for ticks. There's been so much water this year and it's produced a lot of life. I fear ticks will be plentiful this year.

If you have been bitten and are concerned about your bite and getting Lyme disease, save the removed tick in a plastic bag with a piece of moistened cotton. You can take it to the Santa Cruz Health Services Agency at 1060 Emeline Ave, Building F, Santa Cruz (831) 454-4114, and for a modest fee they will test the tick for the bacteria. It's a much cheaper than visiting the doctor and dosing yourself with antibiotics that you may not even need, in addition to the much more expensive tests that are required if you have to do testing later on yourself after symptoms emerge.

A former member
Post #: 2
I found two in my boot (on top of sock). Luckily, I was headed up to Pigeon Point Lighthouse to visit a friend who happens to be a hike leader for the Sierra Club and she helped me do a thorough inspection. I spent a couple hours on the internet after that. It's the small deer ticks (not the large ones I saw) that are dangerous and overall, we are in a low probability for lyme disease here in Calif. I still went and got a new bottle of Deet.
A former member
Post #: 86
Yes, the deer ticks are miniscule. Last December I was in Butano and one woman with us spotted tiny ticks 3 times - they were the size of a pinhead. We're walking along, and she sees these ticks on tall, thin stems. Couldn't believe she spotted them.
Kristin
user 13637106
San Jose, CA
Post #: 3
Thanks for the good information everybody. Here is a good article on Lyme Disease in Santa Cruz County with information on how to submit ticks for testing.

Also, if you're like me and do not like to put a lot of DEET all over yourself, essential oils are supposed to repel ticks and other insects as well. Types used include eucalyptus, tea tree, rosemary and other pungent oils, diluted in a plain oil, lotion or alcohol base.