addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Take a hike! Message Board › Ticks

Ticks

A former member
Post #: 14
I got a tick two weeks ago, my first. My good nurse friend, familiar with ticks did a beautiful job of extracting the bugger after about 24 hours. I went to Santa Cruz Health on Emiline and they confirmed it was the right kind of deer tick for lyme. They gave me an info sheet and envelope to send it to Santa Clara Health for lyme testing (cost $15). They only test on Tues. I knew to do that much because of this great Meetup. Additional notes:

*You are usually safe if you get them out before 36-48 of attachment and they haven't started a blood meal (fat tick) which releases the virus in their gut. If you leave part of the head, that's no problem. It will work it's way out.

*Incidence locally of lyme is very low. About 1% of ticks tested contain the virus, according to Santa Clara Health. Santa Cruz said they haven't had a positive since 04. Not sure if I believe that.

*They really don't advise the testing anymore because of false readings, preferring to simply monitor symptoms. It's easily treatable in the early stages.

*My doctor did not freak and also said to just watch for the bullseye and cold like symptoms.

*Winter ticks are usually adult and not quite as bad as spring/summer nymphs.

Disclaimer: All of this was just in conversation (I asked a lot of questions) and if I were you, I would not act according to this information absent professional advice from your own doctor.

Note: Mine tested negative for lyme
A former member
Post #: 2
Thank you for sharing information. Glad you ok! Jill