addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Take a hike! Message Board › Sad news about Alan (Richard Wotiz)

Sad news about Alan (Richard Wotiz)

ninamo
ninamo
Felton, CA
Post #: 19
Richard Alan Wotiz - a brilliant, kind, and very spiritual person.
I won 2 tickets to SETI con, and who else but Alan would want to accompany me? I asked him because they had a lecture on dark matter in space and remembered he was fascinated by the subject. Then he reciprocated by inviting me to the outdoor art hike at the Djerassi Resident Artists Program. It was such a gorgeous day that afterward we had our lunch by a pond off Skyline.
I will miss him.
Julie
user 15008221
Watsonville, CA
Post #: 1
I am so stunned and saddened to hear the news of Alan's passing. My deepest sympathy to his family for their loss. Alan was such an easy going and gentle person to share hikes with, he will be missed. I echo Julie Hitchcock's suggestion to have a memorial picnic in his honor, great idea! Thank you for posting this wonderful picture too, it really says it all! ~ Julie Batz
Steve W.
StephenDW
Scotts Valley, CA
Post #: 4
Thank you Cathy for relaying the message from Alan's sister. I am grateful. It's been really difficult for some of us, especially those who were with him on the day. At the same time, I could wish no better place for him to leave us than on one of his most favorite hikes, Castle Rock, and with his friends.
We connected because we were both engineers: he, an electrical engineering, me a software engineer. What a great guy. This is difficult. He left behind a lot of people who loved him.
Ron
user 5643244
Boulder Creek, CA
Post #: 4
Alan was not only a hiking friend with whom I shared many hikes, but an accomplished fellow Electronics Engineering Consultant. We could talk as easily about our mutual love of nature as about electronics and our chosen consulting profession, and we found a connection through both.

While on our hike yesterday, Alan was telling a couple of us about how much he loved Castle Rock State Park, and how he often camped and hiked by himself there in the middle of the week because it was so peaceful and quit. It was easy to see that Alan was experiencing that peace and tranquility in the moment as we walked and talked about it while listening to the spring songs of the birds and the breezes blowing through the trees.

Alan left us way too soon, but he will be remembered always by me and many other friends, especially as we walk the many trails we shared together.

My deepest sympathies go out to his family at this difficult time. I hope they will find solace in the fact that they are in the thoughts of Alan's many friends who share in their loss, and that as tragic as his departure was, Alan was so very fortunate to leave us while doing what he loved, with people who he genuinely cared about and who genuinely cared about him, in a place where he found so much peace and tranquility.

A former member
Post #: 17
My sympathies to Alan's family and friends and especially to those special hikers who were with him on that fateful day. Reading these comments, I am touched by the compassion of the members of this group and I know you will continue to support each other and cherish his memories. May his spirit and passion for this special corner of the world be forever in your hearts.
Kitty S.
ketury
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 5
I will miss dear Alan, and am grateful for all the kind comments from everyone. I was always glad when he was on a hike. I felt a special connection with him, and his love of nature. I loved his quiet ways, his brilliant mind, and his gentle wit. He shared with me his recently published article on how camera image stabilizers work, where he makes a complex subject understandable and humorous. How comforting it is to hear everyone's comments here.
LuLu
user 13378537
Aptos, CA
Post #: 1
Alan, I will miss your gentle spirit, your smiling face, and the way your eyes always seem to light up for just the pure joy of doing what you love to do, and being around the people who truly love you. We will miss more than you know.

I felt one statement needed to be mentioned...one huge THANK YOU to the male nurse who sacrificed much to administer CPR. I don't know if anyone ever got his name; but he stayed with us until the end. Never once thinking of himself.