Take a hike! Message Board › hike medical prepardness

hike medical prepardness

A former member
Post #: 3
The news about Alan points out some questions in hike safety.
Who knows who in the hiking group knows CPR? And, how to contact that person up the trial?
To my knowledge, there isn't an appointed sweep, and no cell phone numbers are exchanged(Yes, I know cell phone coverage is sometimes not there) with the lead.
Bill Chase
David T
OriEri
Palo Alto, CA
Post #: 8
I thought about this too. In Richard's case, CPR was administered with positive effect, action was taken, a medical professional came upon the group within minutes and paramedics arrived within a half hour, not bad considering the remoteness, and he still passed. On most hikes I have been on I have seen the leader ask someone to sweep or informally to keep an eye on those in the back. On the hikes I have led with smaller groups (I don't think I have ever had more than 12-13), I usually keep most of the group in sight, or stop and go back to check on stragglers periodically.

Hiking is an at risk activity. You may be far from ideal medical care. It does not hurt to know who knows CPR and to exchange some cell phone numbers if people are going to be spread out. I plan on taking a refresher but you can't count on someone knowing CPR, or that there will be numbers exchanged or a formal sweep. If everyone makes these pre-requisites for hiking with the group, the group will not likely survive, but each individual should make the choice about whether to hike that is right for them.
Kate
user 9477645
Aptos, CA
Post #: 1
Perhaps we could arrange to take a CPR class together.
Dan D.
user 11080310
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 6
In regards to CPR, the first thing I learned in CPR class is not to be discouraged if the person you are working on dies. Death occurs 90-95% of the time even with a well trained CPR responder. This number is for people in town near a hospital. On the trails where we hang out, I expect the number to be even worse. In other words, we can't count on making it through a heart attack on the trails. If this sounds bad, well I guess it is bad. But I think our odds are worse sitting around the house watching TV...........
As far as being connected on the trails with cell phones, I don't think this is going to happen. Hell, half of the people on meetup don't even list their real names. For those who think that we need more controls on the hikes, well, I hope that you folks sign up and start leading a few hikes instead of suggesting improvements for the volunteers that are still leading hikes. Personally, I think that the leaders are doing a great job, and I wouldn't change a thing!
lewis w.
user 11343524
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 4
Yes! The volunteers leading hikes are doing a Great Job.

That does Not mean, that Laissez-faire attitudes about the "at risk" aspects of hiking are a good idea.
I hiked with the Sierra Club for over 20 years, with only a rare leader that didn't have a Sweep.
It was required. It's not likely that this basic of care for our fellow hikers will cause the collapse of Meet Up
hiking. Instead it is more likely, to promote a little more human concern, for the "friends" we are hiking with.

The very minimum of care, is having a Sweep on every hike. It will not keep a heart attack or a death
from happening, but it will take care of all the other "at risk" events of sprains and falls, etc. that otherwise might leave you alone on the trail.

Of course there are some of us who think it will never happen to us. Until it does.
Lew
Dan D.
user 11080310
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 7
Hi All,
Laissez-faire attitudes????? So far we have had 645 hikes. To my knowledge there have been 3 injuries, all treated immediately at the scene, and one death, also treated immediately. No one has been lost, although a few people have taken off without telling anyone. Every hike leader I have seen has been counting people at trail intersections, and the sweep position has been filled when there are slow or weak hikers. Once again, my hat is off to the people that are still leading hikes with this group. And I will take this opportunity to say thank you once again to Andrew, and the other hike leaders on a fine job!
A former member
Post #: 16
All of Dan's poiints are well spoken. The beauty of TAH are the situational bonds that are created for each individual hike and the fact that they are so NOT over-thought. I approach each outing as if it were something I would do alone and that the company makes it safer, funner more interesting.

Ultimate safety, though, is a pipe dream. You could hike with a hundred medics, but without advanced life support, it wouldn't make much of a difference. Rather, lots of hikes give you the best chance for a healthier life and larger circle of friends.

Sierra club hikes are dreary, burdensome, often ill planned and in some cases downright dangerous in catastrophically bad descriptions of what an event entails and who is attending....descriptions people depend on for difficulty and time well spent. Very few (none) of their hikes hit the sweet spot, while Take A Hike hits it every time and often. The day TAH turns into Animal Farm is the day I return to my solo beach walks.
A former member
Post #: 18
Add ICE to your emergency contact people on your cell phone. ICE stands for In Case of Emergency and emergency personnel are trained to look for this.

http://www.webmd.com/...­