addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Take a hike! Message Board › What I learned

What I learned

David H.
user 5395615
Soquel, CA
Post #: 7
From my recent accident experience at Maple Falls, I have started carrying a few pain pills, an ace bandage, a windbreaker, a bic lighter and a flashlight. So let's all review what we can do ourselves to make hikes safer, be quick to help in any way we can, be it a sweeper, or carrying extra water others may need or making new hikers feel welcome. People who organize hikes do way more than enough just doing that.
A former member
Post #: 113
Don't forget to have a whistle! And on a recent hike with another group, we would've gone astray except that a GPS or compass was able to tell us which way was north (of course direction is mostly useful when you know where north is on a map).
Dan D.
user 11080310
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 8
Safety/first aid equipment I bring on hikes includes a couple of bandanas, useful things for slings, bandages, etc, real bandages, asprin, a sharp knife, a tick remover, matches and fire starter stuff, a space blanket, a compass, a whistle, a big garbage bag, and some trail mix or other easy food. I have found from personal experience that these items can be very useful, especially if you get stuck on the trail longer than you expect. The total weight probably isn't more than a couple of pounds.
David H.
user 5395615
Soquel, CA
Post #: 8
yes I added a whistle and a space blanket