addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Take a hike! Message Board › Hi Everyone!

Hi Everyone!

A former member
Long time, no see!

Some of you may remember last year I stopped hiking because of what I then thought was a hip problem.  I finally saw an orthopedist, and it turns out I have lumbar spinal stenosis - simply put, my spinal discs in the lower back are essentially non-existent, and bone spurs have grown and are now pressing on my sciatic nerve.

As a result standing and walking became even more painful, and the only way I could do either without going nuts with pain was to do it hunched over. It's all good right now though.  I've been doing physical therapy for it, and just got a shot of steroids in that area and the pain is much less severe.

However, hiking and anything standing are no longer good physical activities for me. I started biking again, which is a much better activity since it does bend the lower back, basically opening up the spine and taking pressure off the sciatic nerve.

Anyways, it's probably better to have you take me off the list as an organizer for now. I have missed, and will miss the comaraderie I've shared hiking with you.  But if you want to invite me to any party or biking events that you participate in, it would be my pleasure to enjoy your company that way!

Warm wishes and good living to you all!

Peace,

Mai

Jeff
user 4104879
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 5
Good to hear from you, Mai. Miss hiking with you, but I hope the biking works out. Glad the therapy seems to be working. Hope to see you soon.
Steve W.
StephenDW
Scotts Valley, CA
Post #: 7
Hey Mai, it's been awhile! Sorry to hear you won't be hiking anymore. I've been thinking about resurrecting some of your Henry Cowell hikes. No one does those anymore! Hope to catch you on another meetup of some kind!