Atlanta Beyond Oil Message Board › looking for advice on election and peak oil

looking for advice on election and peak oil

This message board is read-only.

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi everyone,
I haven't met most of you yet, but I did get to meet a couple of folks at the Richard Heinberg event this past Wednesday. I only just moved to Atlanta, but I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and getting involved with APO!

I'm posting because I'd like advice on how to find out/educate other voters regarding candidates in the upcoming election and their positions on energy issues. Richard Heinberg's Oil Depletion Protocol presentation gave me hope that there might be positive political solutions to the problem of peak oil. However, in the (little) research I've done so far, it's been difficult to get any real information about candidates' stands on energy. Lizzie said that in the luncheon they had with politicians and Heinberg, it seemed that most politicians are woefully ignorant regarding this topic. I'd really like to head up a project to get more information out about this, but I've never really done anything like this before. Anyone have any ideas? Interested in helping?

On a sidenote, nonprofits are not allowed to campaign or lobby much, nor to endorse certain candidates, and since APO is applying to become a nonprofit, I have no idea how much of this can be done under the auspices of APO. I contacted Georgia Conservation Voters, however, which is an environmental activist group, so I'm hoping they can advise me on this as well.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or advice you have!
A former member
Post #: 60
Hi Lisa,

I'm glad you posted about your interest. Its a very important one, and I am interested too!

Lisa and I went to the last Green Drinks event and met some folks form Environment Georgia who have a list of questions to ask the candidates. So that is one way to find out where they stand.

I believe that one of the main contributions that ABO can make is to increase the Energy Literacy of our local policymakers. This is a subject that very few of us are taught. As I have talked to other peak oil activists in groups like ours, I have developed the opinion that "confronting" our local politicians is counterproductive. What we need to do is support them. In at least two dimensions--we need to provide info and education, and we need to let them know that we won't fire them if they make policy decisions that mean we will have to--dare I say the words--"make sacrifices." So that means we also have to educate the public, too. All a tall order. But we have to start somewhere.

One of my intentions for ABO is to develop a "speaker's bureau" that can give basic peak oil education to legislators. Heinberg gave us a copy of his presentation at the luncheon that we can use to develop our own. Several of us have additional slides as well. If you are interested in participating in this way, let me know. You don't have to have experience. In my "other life" I taught public speaking at the college level, so I can give you some coaching.