OMG NYC (Origami Meetup Group! NYC) Message Board › October OMG NYC! Come fold with us! location is downtown Cosi

October OMG NYC! Come fold with us! location is downtown Cosi

Sok
soksong
Group Organizer
Providence, RI
I've updated this Meetup. For more details, see the full listing:
http://www.meetup.com...­
When: October 18, 2009 1:00 PM

Where:
Cosi (Greenwich Village)
53 East 8th Street (between Green and University) near NYU
NY, NY 10003

If the changes affect your plans to attend, please take a moment to update your RSVP. (You can RSVP "No" or "Maybe" as well as "Yes".)

You can always get in touch with me through the "Contact Organizer" link on Meetup: http://www.meetup.com...­

Hello Fellow Folders!

Our September meetup was a blast! Thanks to all who came and and helped made a memorable one year anniversary event! I Know we are normally supposed to have meetings on every 3rd Saturday, but this month there is another origami event scheduled out in Pennsylvania on the 3rd Saturday. Mark and Arlene's Fall Fold and Feed is a fun folding event and many of the OUSA and several of our meetup members attend this fun event. Let me know if you have questions about this event and I will forward you details.

So we will have our monthly meeting on the 3rd Sunday this month!

Please RSVP responsibly so we know how many will be there! thanks!

We will meet a a different location from the normal studio spaces. its a cafe/restaurant that is very mellow and has a lot of open seating and doesn't require a minimum purchase to sit and hang out. I've talked to the manager and its usually pretty mellow during this time and plenty of seating and we can spread out. in fact I am updating this sitting at the Cosi and I really love the laid back setting and I think it will be perfect for OMG. those of you that want to stay after the usual 1-4pm time can do so and fold into the night if desired. ;)

Cosi (Greenwich Village)
53 E 8th St
(between Greene St & University Pl)
New York, NY 10003
Take the N.R.W to 8th street and walk past Broadway and Green
Take 6 train to Astor place and walk west on 8th st.

instead of using the money I usually spend on studio rental, I will order some large flatbread pizzas for everyone to share. you are welcome to purchase other food and drinks. they have a free refills on soda/lemonade/ice tea. its self serve.

Lets try it out and see how it goes. I like to idea that the public can join us if they want and its more visible and the chairs and booths are much more comfortable. there is music overhead, but it will make it more intimate to fold in small groups. When we have scheduled workshops and class we will switch back to the studios but I think this will work out great! as always let me know what you think!

Can you believe that it's already October! Fall is here and its one of my favorite seasons in the city!

Also starting this meetup, we will try a new format... While I was out on the left coast, I had the good fortune to meet some wonderful Seattle folders. Well, we took a quick filed trip up to the beautiful Vancouver BC, and attended a local folding meeting led by Origami Master Joseph Wu! It was a great experience to visit and spend some quality time with other Origami enthusiasts! Joseph starts his meetings much like we did one of our recycle folding meeting earlier this year. Remember we had a special beginners hour before we started the regular meeting because of the surge of new members? I think it would be a great idea to incorporate that same format for each meeting for new folders to get a basics review before the regular meeting starts!

So from 1pm to 2pm I will lead a basics workshop and from 2pm on it will be the usual folding free for all. Everyone is welcome to come early to join us! I will try my best to get the large booth tables for this session. so come early to reserve your seat!

Bring your fall themed models to teach and fold! Let me know if you want to set up a class or workshop to teach a model, otherwise keeping the same format of informal folding with pockets of group teaching has been working great!

And as always we will have many door prizes and raffle items. If you would like to donate paper and origami related items for prizes please bring them with you!

I will try my best to get some pictures up of some of the thing that people will be teaching at the meetup up! so check back soon.

Hope you have a wonderful beginning of autumn and hope to see you all soon! Happy Folding! I will post the location a week before the scheduled meeting, but I assume it will be in midtown in either the same location or very close nearby.

-Sok

AWOL (After Work Origami Lovers) on Thursdays is going great! come and join us one of these nights! (note: this is at a different cosi- the other location works better for smaller groups and during the week)

PS. Starting October we will have an informal weekly after work folding meeting on Thursdays. It will be just a loosely scheduled drop in fold as you want type of thing. As an origami artist, I am always folding, on the train, in a restaurant, at a cafe, and it would be great to have some company while I fold. I will post the details on this site, but it won't be like regular meetups where you will get an email reminder. I want to keep the group emails down to a minimum and don't want a weekly email to go out to everyone, so check on the website for updates. I'm usually folding downtown in the village or in midtown so we will meet at a cafe or a restaurant or a public space and fold to our hearts content. Let me know what you think.