Growers, Patients and Caregivers Exchange. Message Board › growers being asked to fill out 1099's

growers being asked to fill out 1099's

jay
user 25650562
Eugene, OR
Post #: 30
Many of the dispensaries in town are asking growers to fill out 1099 forms when vending. This seems interesting to me since growers are still not legally allowed to profit from growing. Subjecting yourself to an audit and possible jail time by creating a paper trail seems a bit foolish to me. What does everyone else think?
Ananda
A.Handshealer
Group Organizer
Eugene, OR
Post #: 831
I am looking for six good grower/patient/caregiver teams to join me in opening the Medical Marijuana Farmers Market again. Typical cost to rent a table averaged about 20% of reimbursements. Now growers are forking up over 50% to the profiteers at the dispensaries. Seven people or teams total wanted to join me to re-open the market. We hold a meeting on the subject every wednesday and thursday. Want to find out more plan details of the reopened market send and email and let me know if you are willing to take on 1/7 ownership and responsibility for the new market. Only seven equal shares available.
Thank you

Many of the dispensaries in town are asking growers to fill out 1099 forms when vending. This seems interesting to me since growers are still not legally allowed to profit from growing. Subjecting yourself to an audit and possible jail time by creating a paper trail seems a bit foolish to me. What does everyone else think?

Ero
user 12902424
Eugene, OR
Post #: 159
I think a 1099 is fine if you have your paperwork in order. However the IRS really screwed the California dispensaries by retrocactively disallowing them from deducting expenses and wanted to tax then on their gross only.

So I am not worried about the state so much as the IRS.
jay
user 25650562
Eugene, OR
Post #: 31
Ero. Let's assume you vend 50 lbs a year to the clubs and you fill out a 1099 for each lb. Your claiming 100k per year and your supposed to be operating for no compensation? Sounds like a set up to me
Paul
user 22551251
Eugene, OR
Post #: 84
This must be relatively new as I have not been asked. My question would be why a 1099 if I'm receiving 'donations' not sales or profits. Perhaps time to consult a tax man cause this sounds shady. If I was running a grow as a business within the state I'd expect to pay taxes - and get write-offs.
Ero
user 12902424
Eugene, OR
Post #: 160
I thought the new laws allowed compensation for labor. That could make it work.
jay
user 25650562
Eugene, OR
Post #: 33
Ero. No they do not. The laws applying to dispensaries have a very vague sentence that could be construed as being able to compensate for labor, but the laws haven't changed for growers