addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Salsa Meetup Message Board › I have a dance question, Mike

I have a dance question, Mike

A former member
Post #: 4
Mike:

Is it o.k. to make up your own shines? Or is it best to only use the ones you memorize from classes?

Roberta
A former member
Post #: 2
Mike:

Is it o.k. to make up your own shines? Or is it best to only use the ones you memorize from classes?

Roberta

I thought I might add a response to this one as well...the shines (foot work patterns) that we teach in class are really meant to teach students how to be more agile with their feet while staying on beat. The patterns are really meant as suggestions to things you could do, either bits and pieces of them or stringing 3 or 4 together. The should also act as a platform for you to develop your own footwork and shines. As you begin to "take the plunge" and take a stab at footwork you will realize that you will stick to one or two moves and then modify them as you become more comfortable doing them. The hardest part for most new dancers is actually getting the guts to do footwork. They feel insecure or unsure of how they look or if they're doing it right.. Let's just put it this way..who'se to say what looks good for each person and as long as you're on beat...you can't be wrong. Just give it a try...even if its just a suzy-q to a left-turn..or something else..once you start you'll find that footwork adds a new dimension to salsa dancing. Enjoy!!!
Mike R.
SalsabyMike
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 16
I agree with what Tali had to say as I emphasize our footwork to be a method of helping you to move your feet. But, on an artistic level, footwork allows dancers to really interpret the music you are listening to, which most dancers fail to do.. They feel that as long as they can do a long and complicated footwork pattern it doesn't matter to which song they do it to... This makes it look strange when they are doing a fast-beat pattern to a slow, sexy song. In other words, use footwork to emphasize your style and the music not just as a way to show off what you learned in class that week. Creating your footwork is definitely suggested as long as you stay within the "rules". This means moving with your center or moving your legs under your center. Have fun creating new patterns and feel free to show them to us so we can give you more ideas. See you on the dance floor!!
A former member
Post #: 5
Mike and Tali:

Thanks to both of you. Your answers were very helpful. I will start thinking about playing around more with the shines.
A former member
Post #: 3
thats true it's really important went dancing to do the footwork. u know whats my problems i go to fast so on the songs and i need stop that .