Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:19 PM
It's raining jobs! I wanted to make sure everyone saw this from PBS NewsHour.
Digital News Editor
As a member of the NewsHour?s multi-platform newsroom, the Digital News Editor will play a major role in the evolution of the NewsHour?s news day ? from online to on-air. Reporting to the Managing Editor, Digital News, the Digital News Editor will coordinate with the head of the Segment Production unit to plan and execute news coverage throughout the day. While primarily responsible for online coverage, the Digital News Editor will also be expected to contribute to on-air coverage as needed. Duties include refining story pitches, editing copy, enforcing deadlines and ensuring the quality and daily flow of content to the NewsHour?s website and its news desk. The Digital News Editor must have demonstrated experience working with reporters with differing skill sets, communicating editorial guidelines and maintaining the highest journalistic standards. Excellent writing skills are a must.
The digital news editor's duties are further detailed as:
1. Helping to coordinate story coverage among desks for online and on-air news efforts
2. Editing content in text, video, broadcast script or multimedia format
3. Writing homepage headlines and planning and publishing homepage turnovers
4. Editing and scheduling blog coverage throughout the day for maximum traffic impact
5. With the rest of the newsroom staff, watching wires for breaking news and events
6. Mobilizing reporting and production personnel to best respond to breaking news
7. Coordinating with reporter/producers and desk editors for editorial sign off
8. Coordinating with correspondents on planned digital content
9. Coverage of live news events and special editorial projects as assigned
Candidates must have at least three years of experience covering daily news and editing news stories and analysis on multimedia platforms. Video editing and web publishing experience required. Strong editing, communication and organizational skills, as well as the ability to handle breaking news and troubleshoot technical issues, is desired. The Digital News Editor will report to the Managing Editor, Digital News and will be based in the multi-platform PBS NewsHour newsroom in Arlington, Virginia. Some weekend hours may be required.
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and list of three references to Maureen Hoch, mhoch (at) newshour.org. No phone calls please.