Remember to pay your $11 through PayPal after class or before, in some cases, I may ask new students to pay in advance. This will depend on how many people RSVP and if at least one student has attended or participated in any event. This is a process of confirmation since new students may not be too familiar with Philadelphia Spanish Meetup. Please read thoroughly so you may have a better idea of how this meetup works. Once the first steps are done remember to have a pen or pencil and a dictionary (If you do not have one, you can use the internet to replace it). Remember that I will only speak in Spanish. This will be a simple class and everything is included in the lessons. This course is designed for level four students. The reason I will only speak in Spanish is that you get used to think in Spanish and relate the meaning of the words through pictures that are included in the lessons. Try to ask questions related to the lessons. Please be patient that more advanced information will be included later on.
Advantages of taking classes online:
First you will not need to worry about parking tickets, public transportation, rush hours and you will be able to stay in the comfort of your home.
Also you will be saving more money, since you do not need to move out of your home.
For the ones who like to protect the environment, it is a solution to lower emissions that contribute towards over-heating the earth.
And now you do not need the book in order to attend the event since now I have a scanner and I will be able to send you the lessons directly to your email. But I will advise you to buy it when you have time so you may study at home also. Remember that the progress you make will depend not only on the classes but also in the extra work you can do at home. A language is not something that can be learn in just one year or two, it may take from four to five years to master it and learn it completely. I say this for my own experience when I learned English. It took me around four to five years to learn the level of English that I have now. You may be able to learn and master the language in lest time, but all depends in how hard you work at home and also in class.
You do not need to create a premium account with Skype in other to join the group because I already have it. So I will just invite you to the group video call.
What do you need?
You will need a PayPal account.
A good internet connection. (If you have the basic service offer by Verizon, we may experience connection problems, since this service only offer one megabyte/second. If you have this kind of internet I advise you to check your Skype account and see if it works properly or contact your provider).
You will need a Skype account.
Add me in your Skype account. This is my Skype name philadelphia.spanish.classes
The latest version of Skype (Windows or Mac).
A microphone and speakers (built-in or separate headset with microphone).
Install Skype on you IPhone or tablet. If you are not using a laptop or a desk computer.
These are the computer requirements for a group of maximum five people. If you do not know how to look for this information in your computer you may go to technical support numbers 7, 8 and 9 and the end of this page for more information. Also if you do not have the requirements that are things you can do to improve the speed of your computer and also the speed of your internet. You will find this information on technical support number 10.
Minimum: A CPU of 2GHz, a graphic card of 64 MB and a memory of 512 MB.
Recommended: A CPU Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, a graphic card of 128 MB and a memory of 1 GB
Do not worry, most of the new computers and lap tops have all the requirements.
Have the latest update for Skype.
If for some reason you are not able to pay through meetup.com, then you may use this email address instead to do so “[masked].
You can’t start a group video call in Skype for mobile devices, Linux, TVs and Windows 8, however you can participate in it, but you will not be able to see me.
If there are problems with the internet connection with some of the students I may ask the student or students to postpone the class until the problem is solved. For this I will get in contact with the student/s another day and try to solve the problem with each student at different time (if they are more than one). For the ones that have a good connection the class will continue as normal and I will take care of providing the information necessary for the students left behind in order for them to level up with the other students. If it is your first time on the online class and want to avoid this kind of situation, please contact me two days before class at least to test the connection.
Please be advice that if for any special reason I ask someone to pay in advance, he/she must pay at least three hours before the event. This process will confirm the RSVP in these special occasions. Also be aware that if this process fails the RSVP will not be valid and it will be counted as a cancelation of the RSVP.
For the ones that pay in advanced through PayPal or for the ones that I may ask to pay in advanced under special occasions. I recommend them to check the return policy.
Any question, you may contact me directly by texting or calling at[masked] 6149. You may also contact me through this website or at my email: [masked].
Please be advice that if I ask any of the students to pay in advanced under special circumstances. He/she must cancel the RSVP at least two hours before the event; if this process is not complete I will return four dollars back and the other seven dollars will include my time and the money that PayPal will charge me to return the money back. If you cancel in a satisfactory manner before the event, at least two hour before, I will return the complete amount (eleven dollars) or you may use it as payment for next class.
If you are new with Skype or have problems trying to join the group through Skype here are some recommendations that may help you solve the problem. If your computer doesn’t work with windows just go to the link and select the kind of program your computer works with, also if the link doesn’t work just copy the link and paste it on the search bar.
1.If you never used Skype before here is a link that will help you with the process https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA11099/finding-your-way-around-skype-windows-desktop?intsrc=client-_-windows-_-188.8.131.52-_-help
2. How to update Skype: Go to the link below and select your device (computer, tablet, etc). If it is a computer and it doesn’t work with windows, just go to the middle of the page where says “chose another version” and select the version of your computer. http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/
3. How to know if your webcam is HD: All the new lap tops, desk computers, tablets and IPhones have the webcam already install and Skype works perfectly all of these devices. if your lap top do not have the webcam included or you have a desk computer with no webcam already install, then you may buy one at any store like Best Buy, but make sure that it is HD and that supports the version of your computer (Windows xp, Windows 7, Mac, Linux, etc)
4. The same applies for the microphone and speakers. If your computer doesn’t have a microphone already install just buy one that is compatible with your computer.
5. If using Windows, a DirectX 9.0c compatible video card is need it. This may create problems. To fix this go to this link: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10658/how-can-i-ensure-my-directx-and-graphics-drivers-are-working-correctly
6. Also check that your computer have all the requirements to connect on Skype. Also the meetup groups online are design for a maximum of five people per class, so check the requirements for a group video call of five people. Here is the link: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10613/what-do-i-need-to-make-a-group-video-call
7. How to check what kind of CPU you have:
- For windows: Go to this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaTwGAe3d5E
- For a Mac: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjsPQvQGYAg
8. How to check the graphic memory:
- For a Mac: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDgOj_rkYMU
- For Windows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOTgL6mxQdA
9. How to check the memory of your computer:
- For Mac: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2v1--Rp63M
- For Windows: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-much-computer-ram#1TC=windows-7
10. If you do not have all the requirements for you processor, there are ways in which you may be able to increase the speed of your computer and internet. Also this process can help solve many connection problems even if you have all the requirements:
- Scan your computer before class. A quick scan will do. Be sure that the computer is not scanning while we are communicating through Skype.
- Close all the programs in your computer, even any windows you may have open in the internet.
- Be sure that you are not downloading or uploading documents in your computer
- Be sure that you are not updating your computer, neither your antivirus, while we are in the class
- Follow these tips to improve the speed of your computer and the internet.
i. For Windows. Go to these links. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2nKAluvDb8
ii. For Mac: Go to these links. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfWVqDgHf68