Happy Friday! Thanks to everyone who came out to Jaz's birthday/BPN happy hour last night at Straits
. Even though it was last minute it ended up being super fun. I never cease to be amazed by the number of cool, incredibly smart, interesting yet down to earth people that make up this group- I feel so fortunate. Anywho, I have a ton of updates and some new events to announce. Here goes-
- NEW EVENT: TANCON is this Saturday October 30, 2010 (tomorrow) at the Hyatt Regency- Onyx members will get a 25% discount. Okay, I know this is super, extra last minute, but I wanted to let everyone know that tomorrow The African Network will host it's annual conference at the Hyatt Regency in Santa Clara.
What is TAN? The African Network, TAN, is a global non-profit organization with the sole mandate of fostering entrepreneurship and technology among people of African descent. TAN was founded in Silicon Valley, California in 2004 to provide a support structure and network for entrepreneurs, aspiring entrepreneurs, and community leaders worldwide. The objective of TAN is to leverage all available resources through networking, education, training, and mentoring to develop entrepreneurship and enable community development among all people of African descent.
What is TANCON? This is an annual conference held in Silicon Valley showcasing Africa's technological and entrepreneurial potential to the venture capital ecosystem and the world at large. You can view all the speakers and panelists participating here.
The Discount- To register, click- http://www.tanconf.org/usa/register.php and enter the following discount code for a 25% discount: OnyxRocks25p
- NEW EVENT Black Web 2.0 Sponsored Mixer at Zibibbo Next Thursday November 4, 2010. As promised in last week's newsletter, I have added the basic details for the Black Web 2.0 Mixer next Thursday. I know that it's a bit short notice, but it will be a worthwhile professional mixer (particularly for technical professionals and entrepreneurs). Besides being a great mixer, Zibibbo is one of my favorite restaurants in Palo Alto.
- UPDATE. WINE AND CHEESE PARTY for BBBSBA on November 6, 2010. If you haven't already picked up your tickets, please do so here. The update is that this event will feature live performances from Lanigrooves (featuring the super talented Iwalani) and The Chaperones (featuring regular Onyx member/guitarist extraordinaire Graal). In addition to the awesome live performances, the $25 ticket will include unlimited wine tastings throughout the night plus cheese and light appetizers. Most importantly, 100% of the proceeds will be donated to BBBSBA to support youth mentoring programs for Bay Area kids. Your support would be greatly appreciated.
- NEW EVENT: Talib Kweli at Yoshi's SF November 12[Sharon's Event]. I already got my ticket (open seating) and I can't wait. RSVP here.
- LAST CALL: Are you interested in donating $40 to sponsor a family for the holidays? I mentioned this last week, but I wanted to ask again. If you haven't not already responded to the poll but would be interested in donating $40 to sponsor a family via the non profit organization SF-based Compass Community Services, please respond to the poll here.
Well that's all for this week. I wish everyone a fun and safe weekend.
Onyx- Bay Area Black Professionals"Because being 'the only' can be so lonely"
Hate receiving emails? Click here
to change your settings.