Happy Friday everyone,
I hope everyone has a great week and is looking forward to the weekend. To the new members that joined- welcome! Here are the announcements for the week.
- Please pick up the August issue of Black Enterprise: If you haven't already done so, please consider picking up this month's issue of Black Enterprise. The issue features some local black entrepreneurs that I'm privileged to know personally including Angela Benson, CEO of Black Web Media, who sponsored last years' amazing mixer at Zibbibo. Everyone profiled is doing big things here in the valley and it would be great to show some support.
- RSVP Etiquette: Attrition rates or the infamous Meetup flake factor have been a bit high as of late so I want to remind everyone that it is really really appreciated if you actually attend the events you RSVP yes for (I know, groundbreaking!). Also appreciated is if you change your RSVP to no if your plans change even if it's the day of the event. I know that life happens sometimes and I refuse to spend energy playing hall- monitor but you all should realize that planning events takes time and effort and if a large number of folks flake, it is that much more challenging. For example, I don't like having restaurant events because if I get a reservation based on the rsvps and a bunch of folks flake, it hurts the restaurant financially. Of course on the flip side it's always the event that I assume a flake factor that everyone attends including folks that never rsvp'd. So I ask everyone to keep this in mind when signing up for events. Thank you kindly.
- Details on the four upcoming events this month.
- Stern Grove this Sunday: I'm really looking forward to this event. In addition to Luisa Maita, the main headliner will be Wil Campa, a Cuban salsa artist. So it'll be a nice mix of latin sounds. I will get there early along with Hana but we need folks to get there early to save seating. Also important, please make sure you have me cell number in your phone and your phone charged before you leave. It will be difficult to impossible to find us otherwise.
- Happy Hour next Wednesday: We'll host a happy hour at Joya, a restaurant located in downtown Palo Alto. Finding us should be as simple as looking for black folks but if you're new, make sure you have my number just in case.
- BBQ on Saturday August 20th: If you have not already purchased tickets, please do so. The tickets can be purchased here and will cover food, drink, and the spot reservation costs.
That's all for now. Take care everyone.