A belated Happy New Year! I hope that 2013 is getting off to great start for everyone. To those who resolved to get out and be more social in 2013, the Onyx calendar is packed with several amazing events, so no excuses! Here's the breakdown:
- Sunday, February 3, 2013: Superbowl House Party: Go 49ers! This Sunday, Onyx member Brittany will be hosting a party in Hayward. The party will be potluck format. Unfortunately space is limited so we are capped at 20 members and at capacity. For the people going, please, please, please update your rsvp if your plans change so that folks on the waitlist can get on board. It's always sad to turn down people who want to attend only to have a bunch of no-shows. Also important note for the attendees- please be on the look out for another email that I will send later on this week and again the day of in the morning with all the critical details for attending (notably the address). Can't wait!
- Tuesday, February 5, 2013: Google Black History Month Celebration: Next Tuesday, Google will host a Black History Month mixer in Mountain View. This year, they are looking for people to present an invention or idea during the mixer. If you would like to present, please contact Anthony Alexander directly ([address removed]). This is a great opportunity to network, showcase ideas, hear about new products and ideas, and honor past and present Black Inventors. The event is free but you must rsvp for this event through Eventbrite here.
- Friday, February 8, 2013: Diversity Networking Lunch: In celebration of Black History Month, the California Minority Counsel Program and the Black Women Lawyers Association of Northern California are hosting a networking soul food lunch open for attorneys, professionals and business leaders. Vanessa Washington, Senior Executive VP and General Counsel of Bank of the West will speak about black history month and the legal profession. The event is free for members and $25 for non-members.
- Saturday, February 9, 2013: The Art of Living Black Gallery Showing in San Jose: Join Onyx member Bobby D for a gallery show featuring African American Artists at an art gallery in San Jose The group will head to the wine bar A Perfect Finish after.
- Saturday, February 16, 2013: Movie Night: The Black Power Mixtapes: Going along with the Black History Month theme, let's watch this documentary and then have a discussion.
- Wednesday, February 20, 2013: Golden State Warriors v. Suns: Let's see a game at the Oracle Arena. I will send the details on getting the tickets in a separate email so please be on the lookout.
- Thursday, February 21, 2013: In Conversation with Eriq LaSalle and Boris Kodjoe: Macy's Black History Month Mixer will focus on the legendary Gordon Parks. A free event combining eye candy and education, how could you go wrong?
- Friday, February 22, 2013: SF Noir Wine Tasting Event with Omar White: SF Noir is having an introductory wine tasting event at 18 Reasons, a community food space in San Francisco. Wine Connoisseur Omar White will be teaching some wine basics. Even if you know wine, I think it'll be fun event.
That's all for now. I hope to see you at an event soon!