Apparently check-in at the Hard Rock
isn't 'til this afternoon so I figured I'd pass the time away from the slots, at least for this afternoon (aside- if you're coming to Vegas this weekend but were a "maybe", email me and I'll forward you details on our plans-woo hoo!).
Spring is officially here and I don't know about you, but I'm positively jazzed. And sunny weather tends to make me event planning hyper, so please bear with me as I have added a ton of new things to the calendar... and have some more events in the pipeline. All the more reason to check out the Onyx calendar
frequently and as always, please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you'd like to plan an event of your own. I'm really a fan of Meetup's new Idea
feature; that stated, the best way to get something on the calendar is to email me with a draft post of your event with all the details so all I have to do is cut and paste it to the calendar. Recap of Microsoft Development Mixer:
Before I list all the upcoming events, I wanted to say thanks to Microsoft Silicon Valley and to all the folks who came out to the recent Microsoft Development Mixer
. I thought it was both social and informative (still trying to figure what type of communicator I am). Plus, I am super pleased with the collaboration with NBSE, SHPE, and SWE; there is always such an interesting mix of talented and diverse professionals attending. So look out for more mixer networking events in the future. Also, if you work for a company that would be interested in sponsoring a similar type of event, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
So now, with no further adieu here are the list of upcoming events:
- March 25 (tonight) Financial Freedom Presentation in Oakland: As announced last week, tonight there will be a free presentation by Onyx member Jazmine. With tax season just around the corner and the economy still weak, I'm sure the event will provide some useful information. Additionally, there will be a performance by Poplyfe. I saw Poplyfe perform during the recent fundraiser for Marcus bookstores and they. are. awesome.
- March 25 (tonight) BPN Happy Hour tonight at Xanh: Also tonight and apologies for the super late notice, the Black Professionals Network ("BPN") is having a happy hour at Xanh in Mountain View. The happy hours start around 6:30 is and last until 9 ish. If you want to stay in the Pennisula tonight, check it out.
- March 28 (Sunday) Bring and Buy Bazaar in San Jose: In addition to my upcoming Haiti benefit (I'll get to it) my friend and fellow organizer Yuliana is having another fundraiser for Haiti in San Jose this Sunday. You can donate items to sell and/or buy items at the event. All the proceeds are going to UNICEF relief. I really like the concept and last time around, I bought some really cool stuff. So if you have time on Sunday, it would be awesome if you could stop by and support the effort.
- April 3rd: A Night In The Fillmore: As announced last week, there will be a fundraiser for Haiti at the West Bay Conference Center, which is a pretty groovy venue in the Fillmore. Advance ticket donations are only $25 and can be purchase on Eventbrite- http://fillmoredayandnight.eventbrite.com/
Since my announcement, I have learned that there will be performance by four bands, including Best Intentions, which is a Temptations tribute band. In addition to the motown flavor offered by this band, there will be a mix of jazz and contemporary music thoughout the event. Additionally, there will be speakers for both non profits receiving 100% of the proceeds, Global Fund for Women and the Haiti Emergency Relief fund; both will discuss their efforts and projects in Haiti. So, although I know it's Easter weekend, it would be really appreciated if you could come out and support the event- it'll be a good time for a good cause. And a big thanks to everyone who has signed up thus far.
- April 11th Othello: I just received the tickets for the event. If you want me to mail you your ticket, email me.
- April 17th Earth Day Volunteering event in Oakland: I'm cross posting Karen's volunteer event in Oakland to clean schools for Earth Day.
- April 24th Indoor Rockclimbing at Planet Granite: I took Stacy's idea and created it into an event. Should be fun
Also, for any of you with high school aged kids, I recently received some scholarship links in an email and posted the information here
. Please pass it to students in your networks; it is really comprehensive information and as noted, many African American students are not applying for these great opportunities.
Well that's all for now. If you've made it this point- gold star for you- thanks for reading!