I hope everyone enjoyed their 4th of July. It's been awhile since I last posted an Onyx news updaTo the members that have recently joined group (and to the members that limit their group participation to occasionally reading e-mails) welcome to the group! This group hosts a variety of events for black professionals throughout the bay area, but primarily in the Peninsula
and the South Bay
. The goal of the group continues to be to create an avenue for black professionals to connect both professionally and socially. Since the point of this group (and Meetup more generally), is to “use the internet to get off the internet,” I hope that you will soon participate in events or volunteer to host your own events. The strength of this group depends on the energy and enthusiasm of its members. Also, if you have friends or family that would be interested in participating (especially the ones that lament the lack of black people in this area), please spread the word about the group. This group has grown and continues to grow through the power of word of mouth promotion. The more, the merrier.
Also note for the newbies, if you are new to meetup and are noticing a ton of meetup emails coming in, please don't fret. If you wish to change your email settings so that you don't receive notice every time someone posts an event or a comment (yeah, I know it's annoying), you can change your email settings. I created a page dedicated to explaining this here
. I wish
I could change Meetup's defaults for members so that emails are not sent so often but alas I can't. And on a related note, if you want to contact me about something, please email me[/url] directly. I have long since disabled Meetup's default settings so I usually wont see greetings until long after the fact. And emails through Meetup have gone to Meetup heaven instead of my inbox a number of times.
- Wanted- Event Hosts: I love summer in the Bay Area because the weather is great and there is never a shortage of fun things to do. Only thing is, I'm going to be kinda busy in the upcoming months so it's fair to say that I'll have less time to plan events. Therefore, I'm requesting for members to consider hosting Onyx events. Event hosting is great and I must say that I've learned about some of my favorite places and artists courtesy of members suggesting events. Being a host is low pressure really easy- just think of an event, write a paragraph of events details and instructions on how to meet everyone at the event and I'll post it to calendar. Hosting events is a great way to meet new people and to get an event that is convenient for your schedule in the mix. There are only a few restrictions- 1. no religious events, 2. no political events, and 3. no shameless sales promotion type events (as distinguished from an event where something is provided for free). If you'd be interested in hosting, please email me directly.
- Details on Meeting up tomorrow for the Time/Morris Day Concert at the Alameda County Fair: As noted on the event page, the plan is to arrive to the park around 5:00 pm.For this event like all concert and festival events, it is very very important that you ensure that you take down my number and call or text to meet the group. So if you are planning to go tomorrow, please take down my number now 408 580 4103 and please make sure your phone is adequately charged so that you can contact the group. In addition to taking calls, I will also be posting tweets on Onyx's Twitter page so you can check that out as well to know where we are. If you don't have my number and are not checking Twitter, just realize that you're probably not going to find the group (we don't carry around big signs or anything). Once we've settled in on a place, I will post so information on that location on Twitter. The reason I like to meet up like this is because 1. people always arrive at different times and its no fun having to stay in one spot waiting for everyone and 2. figuring out meeting locations for large venue can get confusing (especially since I haven't been to the fair before). So in a nutshell, the plan is to arrive, park, call/text me, or check Twitter for updates. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
- New Events: I recently added a bunch of events to the calendar- please check them out and RSVP if you can make it.
- July 13th- Al Green Concert At Montalvo: Details are here. If you would like to go and want me to buy your ticket (so we all sit together), please pay online. I will buy tickets today at 3:00 pm.
- Happy Hours in the Peninsula: July 26th and Aug 23rd: Save the dates! Brittany will be hosting two happy hours in the Peninsula. Details will be added soon.
- The Ibesikpo/Asutan Cultural Event in San Jose July 28th: Details are here.
Well that's all for now folks. Enjoy your weekend.