Onyx (Bay Area Black Professionals) Message Board › Is it just me............

Is it just me............

A former member
Post #: 1
I have lived in Central California for approaching two years and feel extremely disconnected (thus why I am trying to network more). I am from Southern California and miss being able to find various black owned businesses, black churches on every block, beauty shops that catered to black hair care, a selection of soul food restaurants, cultural events all year long, etc. I have not been able to find that anywhere (at least within a 50 mile radius of my home). Is it just me?
Lanett
user 11084536
San Jose, CA
Post #: 1
It is not just you. I am originally from Santa Cruz and there are few black owned business or restaurants in town. Progressive Missionary Baptist Church is great for Sunday worship. They are downtown and services start at 11am.

As for hair care. You will likely need to go over the hill unless you can get in touch with Ari, the only person I know that does hair in the area. If you are willing to go to San Jose to get your hair done, let me know and I will get you some names and phone numbers for folks there. I moved away a little over two years ago but still come to town from time to time to hang with family and friends.

Good luck!
A former member
Post #: 2
Thank you Lanett! I have found a church in Seaside. I just get my fix of every thing else when I visit home. Can't wait to meet everyone at an event!