OpenStreetMap SLC Message Board OpenStreetMap SLC User Group Discussion Forum › Renaming to Salt Lake Geo Geeks

Renaming to Salt Lake Geo Geeks

Martijn van E.
mvexel
Group Organizer
Salt Lake City, UT
Post #: 4
Hi all (all 6 of you ;),

I'm thinking of renaming this group to be able to cast the net a little wider, to the geo enthusiasts in the area. Those could be developers, geocachers, OpenStreetMappers, GIS professionals, and others. I feel like there's not enough OSM momentum just yet to make this group the thriving meeting place for geo geeks that I want it to be.

Thoughts? Existing groups that you know of?

Best
Martijn
Gerald
user 10549076
Layton, UT
Post #: 8
While the activity is centered in SLC my work is centered in Layton with expanding interest into Davis County. No reason to create an artificial limit of Salt Lake County. With a reasonable driving reach we can extend to Weber, Davis, Salt Lake and Utah counties. The pretty much sums up the Wasatch front.

If we are to include the professionals into the group the word "Geeks" might not be the best choice. I hope you can make it to the meeting Tuesday and we can network that group of professionals and hope to interest them in the work we do. They have already been receptive to some of the GIS information I was able to provide them.

I'll throw into the pot, "Wasatch OSM", just to get the creative juices flowing.
Martijn van E.
mvexel
Group Organizer
Salt Lake City, UT
Post #: 5
Good points. Extending the geographical scope makes a lot of sense. I like the ring that 'Wasatch OSM' has to it, although I prefer to use the full name 'OpenStreetMap' somehow.

I'm a GIS professional myself and do not mind being called a geek --- but that's just me!

Gerald
user 10549076
Layton, UT
Post #: 9
While "Wasatch OpenStreetMap" is long and wordy, I agree that "OpenStreetMap" is more descriptive and should figure in the renaming. The logo image currently being used is nice and I like it. What would a new one look like?

"Wasatch Wizards of OpenStreetMap" ????????
"OpenStreetMap, Wasatch Wizards" ??????????

Just brain storming some idea.
Martijn van E.
mvexel
Group Organizer
Salt Lake City, UT
Post #: 6
I love 'Wasatch Wizards of (the) OpenStreetMap'!
Martijn van E.
mvexel
Group Organizer
Salt Lake City, UT
Post #: 7
It's done! We're now the "Wasatch Wizards of the OpenStreetMap"!

Hope you like the changed appearance / name.

Who's going to suggest a next meetup?