addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Worcester Paddling Meetup Group Message Board Trip Reports › Non MeetUp trip reports

Non MeetUp trip reports

Susan L
user 7773139
Holden, MA
Post #: 16
I am starting this discussion for people to post a trip report on places they have kayaked. Hopefully we all find safe new places to paddle if we share the places we have been to, the things we like, things to look for and what to avoid.

Please start your post with the location and the date. The time of year does make a difference in the conditions.
Susan L
user 7773139
Holden, MA
Post #: 17
Tulley River 4-10-13 2 1/2 to 3 hours

Today Nancy and I paddled the Tulley River from the boat launch up to the power lines on the other side of Long Pond. Long Pond was covered in ice on 4-7-13 but it was totally gone today. The water was high enough that we did not have to watch for the rocks in the river. There is a new beaver lodge on the first corner, the beaver was sitting outside his lodge as we paddled by on the way up and the way back.

The water was high enough that we could go right over the beaver dams in the river on the other side of Long Pond. We counted 12 dams between Long Pond and the area around the power lines, we finally turned back when we could no longer paddle over the dams. We had a nice slow paddle enjoying the beavers (3), ducks, geese, hawks, an a number of other birds.

Normally we paddle this river when the water is not high, it was a treat to paddle so far up the river without having to portage over the dams.
Betty B.
user 28118672
Albuquerque, NM
Post #: 2
Where is the Tulley River?
A former member
Post #: 1
In Royalston, MA. On Route 32, a few miles north of Rt.2 in the Athol area (where route 2 goes from multi-lane to single lane). Not quite western Mass, but the VT border isn't too far. The Tully River feeds Tully Lake which is an Army Corps of Engineers dam project built ~ 1950. The lake formed behind the dam has an excellent launch site with ample parking , rest rooms and picnic facilities (accessed from Rt. 32). The lake is dotted with many islands which you can land on. In addition, there is a campground on the lake. I've landed the kayak at another, dirt launch area near where the river dumps into the lake, and hiked maybe a half mile to a beautiful waterfall (not accessible by boat) called Doanes Falls. Tully Lake/River offers a great half-day paddling experience and is especially pretty in late spring, and in foliage season.
Susan L
user 7773139
Holden, MA
Post #: 18
Ware River, RT 122 Barre MA 4/21/13

This was the first time I have paddled this river. Nice launch with port-a-pot.

We paddled up stream against the current and wind. the water was a bit high but since I have not paddle here I am not sure how high it is. We paddled up to the Covered Bridge Road. The covered bridge is no longer there but there is still a dirt road coming down to this point. If you want to go further you will need to portage, We had no problem getting out of our boats on the left side of the river.

Along the way we did paddle over at least two beaver dams that would a foot or more under water. I am not sure if the river would be worth paddling when the water is low due to the beaver dams. Lots of beaver lodges. Not sure what the river would be like once the weeds grow in.

People along the shore were catching nice trout.
Susan L
user 7773139
Holden, MA
Post #: 19
Fisherville Pond / Blackstone River / Quinsigamond River
May 10, 2013

NICE PADDLE

Nancy and I launched from Riverview Park in Grafton. The park is behind the Riverview Apartments at 174 Providence Road (Route 122), Grafton. There are two boat launches, we used the one to the right of the soccer field. You need to drive all the way around the field. There was a lot of glass and dog poo at this launch.

Most of the paddle would be suitable for all levels of paddlers, but the Quinsigamond, in my opinion, would not be suitable for all types of boats or all levels of paddlers. If you have a wooden or fiberglass boat you will want to be extremely careful not to damage your boat. If you are not a strong paddler the current may be too much.

We left the launch and headed to the right and up the Quinsigamond River. I would not recommended this river to all paddlers due to the current, rocks and beaver dams. Try it. You will know before you go too far if it is suitable for you.

As we paddled up the river we had to paddle hard at some points where the current was strong. The first beaver dam we came to did not go all the way across the river, it looked like we could go around it on the left hand side. WRONG ! with the current being so strong coming around the dam it pushes you to the bank, as you try to go forward, you find you can not go forward and turn to go around the dam. There is a large telephone pole under the water. It looks like there used to be two poles across the river. One is no one the right hand bank the other is under the water on the left side of the river, about 3 feet from the bank. We backed up and went straight at the dam, our boats went right up and over the dam.

After we went under a pretty little bridge we came to a spot that has a BIG rock on the right hand shore and other rocks in the river on the left. The current is very strong here but we managed to get through it by coming up the river closer to the right side, paddle HARD and do not stop, there is tree in the river just a few feet on the other side but we were able to go right over it. Watch out for rocks in the river after this point. Shortly after this we came to a beaver dam and did not want to portage over it so we turned back.

Once we got back to the pond the paddle was an easy flat water almost no current paddle. We continued past the launch to the other end of the pond out of the pond and up the Blackstone River on the right. If you are not sure it is the river it is not you will know it when you see it. Soon after starting up the river it branches. The branch to the left does not go far before out hit a very shallow area and you see and hear the rapids up ahead, we turned around and went back to the right branch. REALLY NICE RIVER to paddle. not much current, a lot of signs of wild life. We paddled up to the bridge. There is not much after the bridge since some one made a rock dam across the river under the power line. If this is ever removed you could go further. We turned around and headed back to the pond.

Once back to pond we went to the right down to the dam, turned about and headed back. We will explore more on another day. There were a lot of geese and a swan. I have seen pictures of people in boat close to the dam but we stayed back from it. We then paddled back to Fisherville Pond and stayed to the left going around the shore. Never in my life have I see as many turtles as I saw there. Hundreds of turtle heads poking out of the water. From there we paddled back to the launch. We were on the water for about 4 hours.
Peter M.
PeterMorgan
Raymond, ME
Post #: 24
Rhode Island by Kayak - Boston Globe 5/26/2013

http://www.boston.com...­

“The Rhode Island Blueways Alliance is ramping up efforts to tell people about the largely gentle waterway system that’s free to use and easily navigable by kayak or canoe.

Late last summer, the alliance released 20 new detailed maps of paddling routes in the state. There are about 30 maps in all, available for free download at www.exploreri.org. They are loaded with information, including ability level, access points, miles covered, average paddling time, and river history and ecology. This summer, Blueways will host a series of informative statewide paddles.”

Susan L
user 7773139
Holden, MA
Post #: 20
Peter, that was a good article. This is the link to the maps http://www.exploreri....­
Susan L
user 7773139
Holden, MA
Post #: 23
Ware River, Grenville Park, Ware, MA

This is a great place to paddle for a few hours then picnic, the launch is cement plus a floating dock. You can go to the right of the launch down river a short way until you come to the dam, then turn around and so up river. We did a total of 4.48 miles. Around the reservoir then ups the river as far as we could go. Near the airport there is a little island in the middle of the river, it gets shallow with a lot of small rocks around the islands, too shallow for us to paddle with our wooden paddle and we did not want to scrape the gelcoat off of our boat onto the rock so we turned around. It would be very easy to portage over this area, or if the water lever was just a bit higher, paddle over it. I am not sure how much further we would have been able to go but on google earth there looks to be rocks and shallows areas soon after the little island.

I would recommend this paddle to any one looking for a easy paddle.