align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Worcester Paddling Meetup Group Message Board Trip Reports › Rockport to Thacher's Island

Rockport to Thacher's Island

Nancy H
user 7962459
Worcester, MA
Post #: 24
Susan and I took a trip out from Rockport to Thacher's Island on 7/15. It was a great trip through a very scenic area. Once on Thacher's Island we walked the island on trails, climbed to the top of one of the lighthouses and visited a little museum in one of the houses. Thacher's Island is a nesting site for as many seagulls as you would ever want to see. They are everywhere and like to pose for pictures. We did not go out to the Dry Salvages where there are (as we've been told) many seals.

On the way back, we paddled through Rockport Harbor and I saw a kayak rental place - North Shore Kayak Outdoor Center. They have a tour every day at 1:30 with all equipment and guide provided to go out to Thacher's Island for $50. I thought that was a very good deal. I would just recommend picking your day carefully (wind/heat). I have no connection with this company and only found out about them as I paddled by. I have no current plans to hold a meetup for this, but thought some of you might want to give ocean paddling a try in a scenic area on a guided, affordable trip. You can check out their website. http://www.northshore...­

Negatives: Once on Thacher's there was a $5 landing fee and we had to carry/drag our kayaks up a long ramp (with some nails sticking out a little), around a boat house, to the lawn (ugh!). It might be worth asking about that if you book a trip with NSOC. Do the guides carry the kayaks up the ramp, or do they "land" on the rocks? There was nowhere to swim and we were hot! I suppose you could "accidentally" fall into the water at the end of the wooden ramp while getting in or out of your kayak. Parking in Rockport is difficult. Even with the negatives, it was a great trip in a beautiful area, and not terribly far to paddle. We expected the water to be very cold (it's the North Shore!), but found it to be very agreeable. There are a few small beaches just outside of Rockport (Front Beach is one) and when we drove by at around 5:30 there were plenty of parking spaces on the street. It was tempting to go for a swim, but we had already changed into dry clothes and there were fried clams calling to us.

If you go, have fun!

ruby
user 8584863
Flagler Beach, FL
Post #: 42
Nancy My friend and I went there on July 5 with NSOC guide. Guide was such a nice fellow. His name is Nat. He was willing to help us carry our kayaks up to the Thatcher Island. What s more we camped there overnight, luckily they had a tractor which carried our camping gears and food. Oh yes everyone should go there some day with NSOC. I hope to go back there again just for the day with another friend soon. We did not realize that we should not climb the south lighthouse, hmmm.. Outhouse is very neat, did you see it? Lots of seagulls, babies and even eggs. We brought our hammocks which tied to the new pavilion. If I know you went there I would love to join you! Nice walk around the island..museum is cool. YEAH it was difficult finding a free parking.. I like to explore many different places as much as possible.