Bowling Green Canoe and Kayak Message Board › A warning about life jackets

A warning about life jackets

Lane
user 7744904
Bowling Green, KY
Post #: 1
Yesterday, a friend and I did a quick trip from Romanza Johnson to Phil Moore. We saw probably 12-14 canoes/kayaks along the way. When we got to the take-out at Phil Moore, there was a Fish and Wildlife officer there handing out tickets to anyone who did not have a life jacket with them. He got my friend (who knew better) and a young couple who were taking out at the same time. The fine was $50 plus $150 if it has to go to court. A $10 life vest could prevent this. You don't have to have it on, but you do have to have one with you.

Just a reminder,
Lane
Eric T.
user 7787629
Bowling Green, KY
I've been stopped 3 times so far in my paddling experience by Fish and Wildlife officers: twice on the Kentucky River and once on the Mississippi River. Definitely make sure you have a PFD. Missouri and Illinois Law also require a sounding device such as an airhorn or whistle in your boat, regardless of size.
Clinton L.
user 7749170
Bowling Green, KY
Great info to know... thanks!
Greg M.
user 8291008
Jeffersonville, IN
Post #: 15
More important than getting a ticket is safety. If you only paddle in the summer, on warm lakes and rivers, it's not much of an issue. But just because the air is 80 degrees today, doesn't mean the water is any warmer than it was in Feb. Since the first signs of hypothermia are your hands and feet going numb, by the time you realize there's a problem, it'll be too late to put your PDF on, you won't be able to swim, and you won't be able to hold on to your boat.

The best idea is to get a good PFD that's comfortable to wear all the time.
Green H.
user 9569204
Bowling Green, KY
Are you required to WEAR a PFD for just have one aboard on the creek/river?
Greg M.
user 8291008
Jeffersonville, IN
Post #: 75
The law only requires that you have one in your boat.
A former member
Post #: 11
We were questioned on the green today about life jackets. We both had them but not on. Ok
A former member
Thankfully Ashley Gibbons warned both my wife and I the first time we met up to go on our first outing. My wife had one, but we had not found one for me yet. Thankfully Ashley provided me with one until I could buy my own.

Thanks for saving me $150, Ashely! You rule!
Doug
TellCityDoug
Louisville, KY
Post #: 31
Returned from a visit to Dale Hollow Lake 10 days ago. A sign posted at the ramp by the Corp of Engineers read:

"Currently 128 drownings have occurred on Dale Hollow Lake. Of those fatalities, 0 were wearing life jackets. Remember a lifejacket is like a seat belt, it only works when you wear it. "

Lost a non-kayaker friend last week at Patoka Lake, he wasn't wearing his either. All of these folks believed they didn't need to wear one...........and they were wrong.
A former member
Post #: 104
Doug, I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for the reminder.