Bowling Green Canoe and Kayak Message Board › Do you know any good trips??? Post them here!

Do you know any good trips??? Post them here!

A former member
Post #: 1
We are always looking for new ways to explore the waterways. If you know of a trip that is a hidden treasure and is just right for our group, let us know!
A former member
A nice, 4-5 hour trip I have taken from the walking bridge over Barren River off of the US31W bypass to Boats landing. Its pretty calm water and wide enough to not cause any problems!
A former member
Post #: 3
We are doing the walking bridge to Boatlanding on Saturday, Oct 11th, but the put-in is listed as "College St. access point" instead of the walking bridge. So, you may not have recognized the trip. That will be our first "clean-up paddle". Sadly, some of our rivers need a little TLC. It will be a fun day with people working together and getting to know each other. Maybe we'll give a prize for the weirdest thing found along the river!
Stephen P.
user 7750873
Burkesville, KY
Ya'll may have already done this trip or discussed it, but . . . Chris Gardner and I put in Friday afternoon at the Mammoth Cave Ferry on Green River. This is near the 197 mile marker. We camped out on a gravel/sand island around the 194 mile marker on the right. The next morning we paddled around the island and discovered a double entrance cave on the left side with a cold water swimming hole in the entrance. After that we found the sandy beach and "Sand Cave" that Lane Hunt had told us about near the 193 mile marker, on the left. We got out at Houchen's Ferry about 1:30 p.m. the next day, which is near the 185 mile marker (?). It was a great trip and I thank Lane for telling us about it!
A former member
Post #: 4
That sounds like a very cool trip, thanks for posting. We will have to plan that for an overnight trip in the future. Did you take pictures? I would love to see some. Lane is such a great resource to learn about trips.
A former member
I just joined your group and live in the Clarksville area of TN. I have paddled some in KY and was wondering if you have heard of the book called " A Canoeing & Kayaking Guide to Kentucky" It was written by Bob Schlinger & Johnny Molloy. It has some good info on paddling trips around your area.
A former member
Great book, I keep a copy by my desk.

Is there a similar book for TN?
A former member
Post #: 2
There are two excellent books for TN

Paddling Around Nashville By Patty Shultz

Canoeing in Tennessee By Holly Sherwin

Both are well wrtten with easy to follow directions, All three books get moved regular from the desk to the car.
John B.
user 7671064
Bowling Green, KY
Post #: 5
Little South Fork of the Cumberland - I would like to suggest a trip for April 11, either as the main trip or an alternate:

The Little South Fork is a State Wild River from Hwy 92 to Freedom ford (10.4 miles) with clear blue water from the limestone. There is an excellent lunch spot with space for lots of boats across from two white sulphur waterfalls. The mid April date is needed due to water levels and favorable weather.

Meet at the Hwy. 92 bridge approximately 12 miles SE of Monticello, 10:00 am CENTRAL, approx. 10 mile trip, Class I at beginning then Class II for second half. The last rapid is the trickiest, but the cars are only ¼ mile away.

From Sehlinger's book:

Little South Fork

The Little South Fork of the Cumberland River is a Kentucky Wild River. Little used by paddlers due to its seasonal nature and its remoteness, it is nevertheless one of the most beautiful and pristine of Kentucky's rivers.
Draining the eastern portion of Wayne County and the western portion of McCreary County before emptying into the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River, the Little South Fork runs cool and clear over a rock and mud bottom through steep, wooded hills. Runnable from November through mid May downstream from Parmleysville, the stream is primarily Class I with some small shoals and rapids that approach Class II. The river is 30 feet wide in the upstream sections and does not broaden beyond 60 feet as it flows toward its mouth Access is difficult from all but one or two bridges, and shuttles are long, particularly for sections south of KY 92. Exposed rock and a variety of hardwoods grace the usually steep riverbank along with the common proliferation of willow upstream of KY 92. Downstream of KY 92, near Freedom Chapel, the stream enters a massive and beautiful vertical rock wall gorge.
Above all, the Little South Fork is amazingly pristine and rugged. Dangers to navigation include deadfalls and flash flood potential.
A former member
Post #: 25
That sounds like a good trip but a drive that far my force me to go out a day early and do some paddling at BSFsmile.