The Baltimore Pagan Meetup Group Message Board › Basic Herbs, Seeds, Roots, and Powders

Basic Herbs, Seeds, Roots, and Powders

Jerrie
JerrieStice
Port Deposit, MD
Post #: 20
I am getting ready to start to put together a proper collection of herbs, seeds, root, and powders for Magickal workings and general herbal medicinals. While I duly recognize that there are an immense number of items that could be included in a "proper collection' I am interested in finding out which of them you find the most useful or that are your favourites. To clarify purpose, I am looking into working with herbal teas, incense/burning, and satchel making. I do already work with some of the basic kitchen herbs and have a handful, but even so do mention them if you use them.

For now, I'm looking for a collective list of about twenty of the most useful items, and I'm sure we'll end up with an expanded list much beyond that in the end. I'm hoping that through a good discussion, we can come up with an interesting list of useful items that any witch, pagan, shaman or otherwise could find handy.
Dillon Troy F.
user 19662981
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 1
I'm no expert, however it seems to me that the point of the herbs is to react with the body of the subject. Therefore I add that one shouldn't be weary of expanding into spices and oils. I know that some spells such as empowering a Saturn Protective ward require oil annointment. Also, spices like cayenne pepper have been known to have healing qualities.

But yea, would you make balms, anything eateble?
Hypatia
user 8773904
Ellicott City, MD
Post #: 3

For now, I'm looking for a collective list of about twenty of the most useful items, and I'm sure we'll end up with an expanded list much beyond that in the end. I'm hoping that through a good discussion, we can come up with an interesting list of useful items that any witch, pagan, shaman or otherwise could find handy.

My list looks like:
{sweet}cinnamon (make sure it's not cassia)
dittany of crete
galangal
frankincense
lavender
life everlasting
jasmine
{gum} mastic
mugwort
myrrh
patchouli
rose
sage
sandalwood
Dt. John's wort
wormmood

Also, raw or organic honey

Dande-Lion Herb Shop in Glen Burnie has a large selection of bulk herbs and base materials for oils and such --- very affordable to create a stock. I just bought $45 worth of herbs from them yesterday for Wednesday's magical teas class at William Blake Lodge. Crystal Fox in Laurel also has a pretty good selection of herbs.

Organics - this gets expensive since you have to get la min of 4 oz. quantities, and herbs loose their potency with time:

http://www.starwest-b...­

http://www.mountainro...­