add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Southeastern PA Nerd Herd Message Board › PA Nerd Herd News August 2011, Issue #10, Price 3 Credits.

PA Nerd Herd News August 2011, Issue #10, Price 3 Credits.

user 9712644
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA

August 2011, Issue #10
Circulation 548, 149 Past Meetups
Price 3 Credits

Welcome to our newsletter. We will try to publish one every month. The goal of this newsletter is to help you get the most out of your membership in our group! This group is about fun. There is no charge to join but some events may have a cost associated with them. Everyone is welcome.

The Nerds vs Fossils
Sat Aug 04 10:00 AM

The Academy of Natural Sciences has organized a fossil collecting field study for this Saturday August 4 from 10 - 3 for only $35. The coolest Vertebrate Paleontologist,... Hosted by: jill

The Nerds Vs. The Chow... Brunch Time!
Sun Aug 05 11:00 AM
→ Waiting List No spots left

Azie 217 West State Street, Media, PA (map)

What better way to spend a Sunday morning than stuffing ourselves with a breakfast buffet and talking about geeky topics. Last time we got together we had an enjoyable... Hosted by: Kyle W (Founder Emeritus)

The Nerds Vs. The Microphone - KARAOKE
Sat Aug 11 9:45 PM

Bistro 30 202 E. Lancaster Avenue, Ardmore, PA (map)

Come by and have some liquid courage... and get on stage to sing a song! Karaoke is always a good time... we drink, we socialize, we (well, some of us) sing, we dance on... Hosted by: Kyle W (Founder Emeritus)

Nerds vs the Philly Geek Awards
Fri Aug 17 6:30 PM
Academy of Natural Sciences 1900 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy, Philadelphia, PA (map)

Hey ya'll the 2nd annual Philadelphia Geek Awards have been scheduled!! Friday August 17 is the date, Academy of Natural Sciences is the place, black tie is the dress.... Hosted by: jill

The Nerds vs. Phoenixville: Pre-MST3K meetup at Molly's
Fri Aug 17 7:00 PM
RSVP deadline: Aug 14, 2012 7:00 PM

Molly Maguire's 195 Bridge St, Phoenixville, PA (map)

Providing a chance for those attending MST3K to meet and discuss all things geeky. I'll reserve a table under "Jeff." Please RSVP by Tuesday, August 14th, so that I can... Hosted by: Jeff

The Nerds vs. The Satellite of Love: MST3K: Cave Dwellers
Fri Aug 17 9:30 PM
Colonial Theatre 227 Bridge Street, Phoenixville, PA (map)

Joel and the ‘bots are back at the Colonial with this absolutely delightful season three episode, Cave Dwellers. This Joe D’Amato directed, Italian sword and sorcery... Hosted by: Jeff

The Nerds Vs. The Hammer - Doctor Horrible Charity Screening!
Sun Sep 23 2:00 PM
The Rotunda University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA (map)

Once more those Pennsylvania Browncoats are bringing the party to us... this time with a screening of Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. Singing is encouraged and this... Hosted by: Kyle W (Founder Emeritus)

You might notice that I post strange events that are different from anything we did in the past. I usually wait a week to see if anyone takes an interest then either delete it or go ahead with it. In the end we might just come up with something really cool that we never tried before.

A few things that I am going to take a flyer on are:

Pot Luck Lunch. Lunch in the park where you get to show off your skills in food prep and you also get to try out other people’s favorite and strange foods like oatmeal sour kraut salad or squid sausage. Hummm, squid…

Junior G-men, learn to kill people. Not really. I learned to shoot rifle in ROTC from a Sargent that was a good old boy from down south. He taught us to love shooting as a sport. It turned out I was very good at it which made shooting even more enjoyable.   I can shoot everything from pistol to rife, shotgun and the ever popular full auto. No, Metallica music does not improve my aim that is just video games and movies. Even though I own a truck and a rife I don’t hunt but I do shoot target.   Hopefully other people will see this the way I do, as a fun sport.  The Olympics see it that way.  I found an instructor that is willing to try and teach us. I will post this to the group and see what happens. If you happen to be an antigun person, that’s OK. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that but flames directed to me will be graded and posted to the net so if you are going to flame me remember to be entertaining. If I really enjoy your flame I will save you an empty cartridge that you can destroy.

Now instead of real arms how about FPS games? If you don’t know what that means then you need to show up at Dave and Busters. Our last meetup was a lot of fun. We got to release our inner Charlie Sheen, shoot up a bunch of video pixels (not pixies, at least not the good kind), have a few drinks and chicken wings at the bar. It was storming the day we had the last meetup there so considering the drought I think we need to do this again. Hopefully our scheduling this will cause an increase in precipitation.

More fairs upcoming from the folks that brought us the Steam Punk World’s Fair will be listed soon.

Wow, do all these guns, shooting games, booze and fatty foods make me sound crazy? Do I have a car to sell you? No, and I’m not crazy, I’m just drawn that way. By the way, according to the University of Texas School of Public Health, dairy fat can reduce risk of developing cardiovascular disease by 38%. Wow, more cheese please.

Are you doing something interesting? Send me an email and I will list it here, well, assuming that what you are doing is both legal and rated PG. You can send it anyway, I just won’t publish it.

I hereby declare Dusan Popov to be an honorary member of the Nerd Herd. Great, now I can talk about him as Interesting Things Our Members Are Doing.

Did you know that James Bond 007 is based on a real person? Fleming's Bond was a mix of many people but one of the most important was a double agent for the allies during WWII named Dusan Popov. Fleming was Popov’s personal handler in MI6. It has been reported that Popov was critical to the war effort during WWII but that MI6 treated him badly because they didn’t like his playboy attitude and the fact that he was wealthy. Popov was actually funding many MI6 activities with money he diverted from the Nazi secret service. If you decide you want his book look online in British stores. You can get a copy for under a buck in Britain but big bucks here. Wait until you read about what he has to say about Perl Harbor and the FBI’s Herbert Hoover.­

Jeff Dunham’s Terrorist vs Santa­

Madonna want be Nicki Minaj sounds good but her getup is just a bit too much for me. You want to see this video. First off she looks like she is wearing a sheep on her head. Bad wig day. Second, this video is shot in Port of Spain Trinidad and her skin is so white that you just know she has a Vitamin D deficiency. Now the good parts. The song is very danceable, the costumes are straight from Rio’s Mardi Gras and Trinidad in the background makes me what to grab a coconut water. Here she is Nicki,­

Harry Pottymouth. This is funny, watch it.­

If you are not a cat person this is lame but if you are owned by a cat then you will spit soda out your nose watching this.­

OK, I’m white and I like rap.­

No, you will never be a vampire. Best line in this video, “When you are 600 years old there is no such thing as a cougar.” These guys have a ton of videos and I like most of them.­

Do you have something nerdy you want to buy or sell? Got too many Transformers or something else cool? Well we know people that will want it as long as the price is right! Send me a listing and I may (or may not) list it. The advertisement is totally free of charge.

Deal of the Year! I bought a brand new TomTom GPS. It didn’t work so I sent it back to TomTom for repair. They took seven weeks but sent me a new replacement unit. In the meantime I needed to go on a few trips so I bought a Garmin. I can’t use two GPS units so the TomTom is for sale. I paid $233.18 for the unit and I am asking for $100 cash. The model is TomTom Via 1530TM with lifetime traffic and map updates included. No universal carry case but everything else included. I even bought an extended warranty from BJ’s Wholesale which I will toss in but I don’t know if anyone else can use it. Contact me (Pete) via email if interested. (Email address at the top if this newsletter.)

From the person formally known as Fearless Leader, now ….. President for Life and Supreme Commander of the Nerd Herd Military Force, Pete.

You might notice this newsletter is a little sillier than usual. Hopefully funnier. I have been learning to write funny rap songs and I think it has leaked into the newsletter.

Ya, Ya. It’s hot outside. Here are some really fun online comics that are free. Read them in the air conditioning.

Girl Genius. A standard of Steam Punk. http://www.girlgenius...­

Quantum Vibe. Very Libertarian. http://www.quantumvib...­

Phoebus Krumm. Old fashion sailing ships in space. http://www.bigheadpre...­

Here are a few things that will make your membership more rewarding!
1. Login and look at the home page every week. At the bottom of the listed UPCOMING events don't forget to press the link that reads "MORE MEETUPS". Not all of the meetups are listed and this allows you to find the other scheduled events.
2. Create your own meetup event! Yes, you have the power to create events. All you have to do is to contact any of the Organizers listed on the site with the event title, description, date/time and location.
3. Don't forget to look under Recent Meetups to see what you missed! If you really wanted to attend something that you missed then maybe others will too and you can just recreate the event. Please do not duplicate an event that already exists.
4. The Discussions Board (button near the top of the home page) can be a fun place to discuss events or even just talk to other members about topics of group interest. Don't forget to look under MORE and PHOTOS for other fun things to see.
5. Don't forget you can contact Meetup, me or any member of the Leadership Team if you have a problem that we can help with.

6. You do not have to respond NO to any meetup unless you first responded YES and changed your mind. You can just ignore any event that you are not interested in.

You may be scratching your head and doing a pixel by pixel search on the Meetup page for our Suggest a Meetup link. You could have sworn you saw it somewhere... Well, stop looking. It's gone.

Why, you ask? Do the organizers hate suggestions? Nothing could be further from the truth. We love suggestions. We hunger for suggestions. If there was a cheerleader squad made up on suggestions, we'd want to sneak into their dressing room.

However, the problem with Meetup's suggestion feature is that you can put up a suggestion... and it can become a meetup even... but it doesn't require a time or a place. So unless someone is willing to step up and figure out those small but important details, it sits there, and sits there, and sits there. Maybe even a few more people sign up for the event that may happen someday, someplace and somehow.

So rather than have lots of unrealized meetups listed on the page, we took away that link. However, if you have a suggestion... please contact Pete or Kyle. Even if we aren't able to host it, if you're willing and have a time and place... we can set it up for you and even make you that event host. Have so many suggestions they're spilling out of your head like a slo-mo scene from Scanners? Pete will be happy to make you an event organizer so you can hosts lots of them. So yes, the suggestion link is gone. But we still want your suggestions. So email us... we like that. It will make our day.

Are you the host or hostess with the most? Prove it! Talk to one of the leadership members about setting up an NH event of your very own. Kyle and I are always open to ideas. Here is what you need to have your very own event: Have a leader (you) and an idea for an event, have a place for the event along with a date and time. As long as the event fits in with the NH we should schedule it, you will be recognized as the leader of that event and most of all you will have some great fun doing something you want to do with people you like. Here are a few common sense rules that you should consider when creating an event. Most people work on weeknights so anything that is late at night may not be well attended. These meetings are open to the public so while you may like everyone that shows up you don’t know them and it’s not a good idea to have meetups in your home. Public venues are always best.

As we move into the winter doldrums there always appears to be less things to do but that's not true. What is true is that we need more people to get involved in setting up events. Hold a book discussion group at a local bookstore (if you still have one), have a special Dr. Who event at an English Pub (yes we have them in the area), get an ice skating group together, anything that belongs. Don't forget to ask other meetup groups that are doing things we would be interested in to cross-list with us. In short, help us spread the wealth of fun the winter season really is by getting involved. I promise that if you get more involved I can keep the Nerd Herd Demonstrators away from where you live!

The problem with doing things with your physical body instead of your astral or virtual bodies is that you need a physical place to hold the meeting! Lots of you belong to multiple meetups and/or know of great places that let us have meeting space for little or nothing. Most restaurants let you have meetings at tables as long as you are eating. Some restaurants actually have party rooms you can have for free if you have a minimum number of people. Libraries, township recreation halls, VFW(s), volunteer firehouses and other traditional organizations with halls generally rent them at very low to no charge.

Thanks for being a member,

Pete & Kyle and the rest of the Nerd Herd Leadership Team
user 13675075
Pottstown, PA
Post #: 28
Pete: Thanks for taking the time to put all this together. I'm fairly certain the group enjoys eating, so I second the choice for a pot luck somewhere.