addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Park Slope Knitting Circle Message Board › Any Favorite Knitting Books/Mags?

Any Favorite Knitting Books/Mags?

nancy
user 4444010
New York, NY
Post #: 27
I need more patterns!!!
I'm sure others feel the same.
Any suggestions from seasoned knitters for where to go for great patterns for beginners and beyond?

I know the great Elizabeth Zimmerman preaches the gospel of making your own pattern but I'm not there yet.

Also, is it true that some knitters keep their favorite patterns close to the chest like prized possesions? I read that somewhere. Honest!wink
Archie
user 4083771
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 5
I don't know about keeping your favorite pattern close to your heart (if you slept with it there, would you wrinkle or tear it?) but I do hug my favorite yarns. They are so squishy and I have been tempted, more then once, to throw my whole stash on my bed and sleep on top of the yarn. *smiles*

I know, I am eccentric... but, I'm guessing, I am not alone in this.

As for patterns, I love www.knitty.com. Great FREE patterns that are error checked and there are four issues a year.

Some people love the "lionbrand" website (I am not one of them). You need to sign up to gain access to patterns, but it is free.
nancy
user 4444010
New York, NY
Post #: 33
Thanks for the reply Archie.
I might have asked you this before but have you ever gotten the Rowan magazines? I'm not sure if they are fantastic patterns or just really fantastic, dreamy photography.

Anyway all this searching is getting me to more knitting shops which is great. Thanks too for the Yarn Tree recommendation. I might try to get out there next week.

nc
Anna
AnnaClaire
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 11
I subscribe to Interweave Knits, and I'll pick up a Rowan or a Vogue Knitting every now and then (though Rowan's patterns, being written in British Knitters' English, can be hard to follow). I'll also second the Knitty suggestion. And Barbara Walker's stitch dictionaries are also good for those brave enough to try something just a bit more freeform.

Oh, and Ravelry's pattern browser has an option to search for only patterns that are free. (And Ravelry is how I found the pattern for that gray cabled scarf I finished a few weeks ago.)