Note: If you are a member of PDALA AND LAPUG and would like to attend this event, kindly RSVP through only ONE of the two groups, either PDALA or LAPUG but not both. Help us not double-count you as space is VERY limited. Again, ONLY ONE RSVP per person, please. Thank you!
September 13, 2012
LAPUG MEETUP 47 will take place next Wednesday September 19, 2012. Doors open at 6:30pm. The program will start at 7:00pm and will end at 9:30pm.
Our meeting's location will be:
Calumet Photographic - LA (Hollywood)
1135 N. Highland Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90038
This MeetUp will be limited to 50 LAPUG, AUG and PDALA Meetup Members only (First come, first served*) - Deadline to RSVP is Wednesday September 19 at 2:00pm. Online RSVPs are required to attend this meeting (see below for RSVP instructions). We will open the meeting to guests starting on Tuesday September 18 at 12pm (if seats are available).
Please note : Meeting Fee Policy: $10 CASH per person (includes 2 General Raffle tickets for members only) - Guests are not eligible for our raffles.
*If you're new to Meetup, pls don't RSVP by replying to this announcement. Click below for more info and instructions:
PROGRAM / AGENDA
We bring you this month something we've never done before with one of the best Photo Workshop instructors in the US (Source: PDN) and Advanced Lighting legendary instructor. You will witness a full, real-time Photo Shoot (with strobe setup) all the way through adjusting and completing the pictures in Photoshop.This is part of our series "A Day in the Life of...". In this case, we will see the typical workflow of an Advertising Portrait Photographer.
FROM CAPTURE THROUGH PHOTOSHOP
- CREATING A PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPH IN REAL-TIME -
PHOTOGRAPHER - EDUCATOR
George Simian brings his background of illustrating annual reports for Fortune 500 corporations for the past 30 years, and his abilities to make the complex easy-to-grasp, gained over the past 8 years of teaching (at UCLA Extension and other places).
George was recognized in the Sept 2011 issue of Photo District News Magazine as one of the 13 Best Photo Workshop Instructors in the US (http://www.pdnonline.com/features/PDN-Reader-Survey-T-3302.shtml)
To see his work, visit his web site (http://www.georgesimian.com), his photography workshops in Bali (http://www.ubudbali.com) and his Facebook teaching page: (http://www.facebook.com/pages/George.Simian.Teaches).
Image by George Simian
Experience the complete workflow of an advertising portrait photograph:
- From setting up strobe lights
- Through capture live-tethered into the computer
- To full RAW file adjustments
- Through Photoshop tonal and color corrections, and basic retouching
Image by George Simian
We will address issues of
- Exposure latitude with our lighting
- Custom white balance with gels on strobes
- Exploiting the short duration of strobes vs. simultaneous long exposures to continuous light
- Strategies of RAW file manipulations for color vs. tonality
- And the necessary Photoshop adjustments without which no file is acceptable to an advertising agency.
- Website: http://www.georgesimian.com
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/george.simian.teaches
- Photography workshops in Bali: http://www.ubudbali.com
- Bali: A Photographer's Dream (Held in Bali, Indonesia)
- We're featuring George's images on the LAPUG home page and in this announcement.
- There will be time set aside for a dedicated Q&A session with George.
MEETING DISCLAIMER ( Because we must!!): Please note that the program may change at any time due to various circumstances not always under our control. Whenever possible, we will update this and notify the group.
LOGISTICS & OTHER INFO
- LAPTOPS: If you're planning to bring a laptop, please be aware that our seating doesn't accommodate for any table space for attendees.
- ON-SITE REGISTRATION and PARKING: There will be free parking on-site for up to 20+ cars approx. Street parking will also be available.
More information re: Parking, Area Map and special on-site Registration instructions will be sent to all YES RSVPs the night prior to the event.
- FOOD/DRINKS: LAPUG will provide some snacks and refreshments for all during our break. Feel free to bring your own food & bevs if you prefer.
If anyone has any questions, please let me/us know and as always, if you're unable to attend, no problem but please RSVP "NO" in order to remain active and in good standing with our group.
So until Wednesday (the 19th) then!
PDALA Assistant Organizer