addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Photographers and Digital Artists of Los Angeles Message Board Questions and answers about photography forum › After the portrait shoot- now what?

After the portrait shoot- now what?

A former member
Post #: 10
Hello fellow photographers.

I am hoping that I can receive some guidance. Up to this point I have shot portraiture to gain material for my online portfolio. However, now I actually have someone who wants me to shoot their portraits and wants to pay me for prints. I am clueless on what to do. I know how to shoot the portrait and how to prepare the digital files using Photoshop. At this point I normally resize them for the web but I have never went the extra mile to make prints for a client. Is there a place where I can resource a workflow for this? Or a place that guides me how to prepare the digital files for print? A book perhaps? Also, where would I take the files to have prints made and what would I charge?

As you can see there is a lot of unanswered questions I have but I'm very excited to take this next step and don't want to turn the job down just because I don't have the knowledge. I think that this is a great opportunity to push me to learn.

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

-Debbie
A former member
Post #: 801
Hi Debbie,

There are many ways to go about this. The best way, in my opinion, is to buy an inexpensive Ink Jet Photo Printer for your system at home or office. I acutally have an Epson 1280 photo stylus printer for sale that I have recently upgraded with another Epson printer. You can order paper and inks online at Epson or buy them at your local camera store.
I have all the software for it, and would be happy to help you in setting it up and doing a 1st run thru so you can get acclimated to making your own prints. The other option is to go to any photo lab with your images on disk, sized and cropped to your specifications. You can contact them with their requirements for color space, etc...

As far as what to charge, thats totally up to you. If you are making your own prints, you must consider all your costs, Ink, paper, time, etc...

Photo Impact, Samy's, A & I, etc....

Preparing the files is not as hard as you might think. Once you have done it, its like riding a bike.
Oh and BTW, Im selling the printer for $100.00. I can also sell you extra ink cartridges for it.
A former member
Post #: 11
thank you Daniel for the advice. Right now, money is tight because of the holidays otherwise id consider your offer. :)