Alcohol Free in Portland Oregon Message Board › AA Alternative?

AA Alternative?

A former member
Post #: 26
While I know there are plenty of non AA activities on this excellent site, when it comes to specific "sober specific education" events, it is very AA centric. As someone who does not concur with AA's philosophy (but I would never denigrate or dissuade others from attending), I would like to see some groups that deal with say cognitive behavioral therapy, or other sober education groups on meetup. Let me know?
A former member
Post #: 3
Brian:

Richard Powell who is the founder Sober Singles is not a member of AA. I have been an organizer for about 3 months now and my goal has always been to host events that are fun, some are "kid" appropriate and all are a place where sober single people can mix.

I am not sure what kind of connection you are looking for between the 2 groups? Sobers Singles is a social club only and is NOT affiliated with any recovery establishment or methodology.

Good luck with your meetup group and please do not use ours to push your agenda.

Regards,
Helena

A former member
Post #: 33
I normally don't like to engage in public mud-slinging, but I have to address your above public announcement. As a matter of fact, you do promote a particular methodology: the next "official" Meetup is an 'AA Circle Meeting." Can you see why this drives AA aversive folks like me crazy? There is an official 'AA Circle Meeting' every month. Alll I'm asking for is a fairness doctrine. If you are promoting one AA meeting each month, there should one non AA educational meeting each month. I believe this is fair and logical
A former member
Post #: 4
Once again Sober Singles DOES NOT promote a particular methodology. I am one of many organizers who have agreed to organize and host events. If you would like to host an event please contact Richard and he can help you.

I don't know why me hosting a meetup to attend the Circle Speaker Meeting drives you crazy? I have hosted over 30 events and only 3 of them were to attend the Circle Speaker Meeting. The other 27 were live music, berry picking, movies, restaurants, coffee, etc. The Circle Spaker Meeting is not an "educational event" it is a speaker meeting where one Alanon speaker and one AA speaker tell their story of what it was like, what happened, and what it is like now... A very fun and social event that includes good food and a raffle as well as an opportunity to laugh and talk with other sober people. I always get about 6 to 8 people who attend which is why I continue to put it on our calendar. I am in no way promoting AA.

Hope this helps...

Good luck! Helena
A former member
Post #: 35
Thank you Helena! I appreciate your kind reply and wise comments. All I was trying to do was to point out that there is a monthly AA function. I am simply asking for a monthly non-AA sober support meetup. I would be more than happy to put it together. In fact, I have a 1 PM sober support Meetup at the Friendly House in NW Portland this Saturday.

I have tried to contact Richard, but I'm not having much luck. Once again, I completely understand that the VAST, VAST majority of events are non AA related. I am simply asking to match the "one" AA official Meetup on this site.

I hope you can understand my desire is to help and not foment any anger. Thank you so very much for giving your time helping to run this organization! You are a great resource for sober singles.

Take care and be well,
Brian