Portland WordPress Meetup Message Board › Anyone else concerned that WordPress 3.3.1 is getting too big?

Anyone else concerned that WordPress 3.3.1 is getting too big?

Daniel P.
tualatinweb
Tualatin, OR
Post #: 28
I mean look at it, the latest release now has 936 files!

Just a few weeks ago it was only something like 821 files.

Will we soon reach a point where WordPress becomes so bloated that it's performance and value are compromised?
Lorelle V.
Lorellev
North Plains, OR
Post #: 9
There are files and then there is bloat. Totally different issues. If the number of files is increased to reduce bloat, calling in files and code only when necessary rather than preloading everything on top of everything, it's a brilliant decision. I haven't dug into the code to find out if this is true but I can report that WordPress 3.3 is faster than previous versions from my testing and that of others.

Do you know for a fact if the file size is actually bloat? Have you run some tests on various site loads? Would be interesting to see. Here's a good one (in two parts):

http://www.dev4press....­

http://www.dev4press....­

Daniel P.
tualatinweb
Tualatin, OR
Post #: 30
Lorelle,

No measurements, just a sinking feeling that the trend is in the wrong direction.
Steve
user 50361152
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
Hi Lorelle
I get this feeling too.... right now i am dissecting a very cool theme but I estimate the them to be almost 10,000 - 15,000 lines of code... and while sifting through line by line I keep think there has to be a easier way to do this with less code...

Steve
Daniel P.
tualatinweb
Tualatin, OR
Post #: 56
Steve,

A theme with 10,000 lines of code has to be more of a framework with lots of options and features.
Steve
user 50361152
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
It was this one...
http://themeforest.ne...­
Daniel P.
tualatinweb
Tualatin, OR
Post #: 57
After reading just two sentences of the description I can instantly tell you that the author was not born in America, because English is not their first language. Yes, you can get to a point where the theme has more code in it than WordPress itself.

5,000+ purchases and 800+ comments tells me that this vendor is popular.

All the best in reverse engineering their coding.
Scott F.
user 10197455
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
Hello Colleagues -

As to the original question asked -- no, I am not concerned that WordPress is "getting too big".

WordPress is not too slow, and sites load fine. Sometimes you hear it is a "memory hog" which may be at the root of your question. But is that observation even relevant as server processing increases exponentially? Run a speed test on your site with yslow. Use a cache plugin when needed. Then in a couple of weeks, all the servers will have advanced again, and WordPress could then easily add another 500 files as needed. Meanwhile, Google is piloting a broadband installation in Kansas City that is 100 times faster than current cable and DSL solutions. 100 times (Google it).

As needed, indeed. The question is, what is needed to fulfill the WordPress mission for end users? For developers? And, how to do so in an elegant and efficient way given the evolution of server and broadband parameters.

Lines of code? Irrelevant as long as the mission is being met within parameters. It is not uncommon for our Agency to write a single CSS file that is 1500 lines of code -- in a child theme!

You might look into CSS preprocessors like LESS which seeks to streamline code: http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2010/12/06/using-the-less-css-preprocessor-for-smarter-style-sheets/­
But even that is somewhat misleading in terms of using server and computer resources. LESS and other similar solutions involve calling a JavaScript companion program which itself is composed of lines and lines of code. Plus LESS, like SASS, and others, allows you to write formulas and conditionals in your CSS which in turn rely on the processor to do more calculations. LESS CSS... sure. Less lines of code? Not perhaps when you include the preprocessor. Less CPU requirements? Arguable. Less is more.

So, while change remains a constant, I would simply challenge you to show how the additional WordPress files are causing any measurable problems for users or developers. I see none.

- Scott
Webdirexion LLC