Portland WordPress Meetup Message Board › My first "paying" job??

My first "paying" job?? Customer project "wish list", other project documentation and (ahem) pricing

A former member
Post #: 8
My son has a friend who is starting a business and want's a website (family -- gotta love 'em). This has the potential to be my first paying gig in the industry (ignoring my "real job" -- and we wont go into that at the present).

My questions are as follows:

1) Do you use a standardized list of questions (or even a form) that you use to draw information from the client as to what they want on the site, what they are looking for in the style of the site, et cetera? If so, can you provide examples/samples of those question, please.

2) Do you use a standardized form to document (for the customer and yourself) the scope of the project? If so, can you provide examples/samples of the items that you include, please.

3) Do you use a standardized check list that you use: a) for internal tracking of the development process; b) for keeping the customer apprised of the progress? If so, can you provide examples/samples of the items that you include, please.

4) At the last meeting (in the developer session) mention was made of an indemnification agreement. IANAL so can anyone give me an idea of what it should include and some specific wording that they use? If so, can you provide examples/samples, please.

5) What is a standard pricing scheme? Base price for install/setup and then so much per page or what? And what are current pricing ranges for this sort of thing (not that I can justify charging the going rate at present, but I don't want to be so far afield that it creates other problems).

Any info and help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Daniel P.
Tualatin, OR
Post #: 35
1) Here's one list of questions that I start with http://tualatinweb.co...­

2) You want to document in writing all that you will be delivering (features, pages, look). Everything has to be listed and numbered so that you know when you are done.

3) If you have a numbered list in part 2, then check it off as completed.

4) Except for express undertakings to indemnify and any warranties set out in this Agreement:

a) To the extent permitted by the law, ABC Web Design expressly excludes all conditions and warranties whether express or implied.

b) Notwithstanding any other provision in this Agreement, in no event will ABC Web Design be liable to any party including the Customer for any indirect, punitive, special, incidental or consequential damage in connection with or arising out of this Agreement (including for loss of profits, use, data, or other economic advantage), however it arises, whether for breach of this Agreement or in tort, and even if ABC Web Design has been previously advised of the possibility of such damage. Further, liability for such damages shall be excluded, even if inclusive remedies provided hereunder fail their essential purpose. The Customer will indemnify ABC Web Design and keep it indemnified from and against any claims by any third party for or in respect of such damages.

5) Customers love fixed-bid pricing, where you provide a number at the start. During development and deliver about 99% of customers will ask for new features not included in the scope agreed to in part 2. New requests are added to the original bid. I charge $75/hour for my development time.

A former member
Post #: 9

Thanks for the great information. What are the parameters you use calculate a fixed price bid? Obviously the number of pages is a factor, the time spend installing and configuring WordPress obviously (the so-called "famous 5 minute install" is after all just for the basic install from the install.php page and doesn't include other essentials so it seems only reasonable to account for a bit of time there), et cetera. But what other factors? And then what sort of "hourly rate" (or other method) do you use to calculate calculate a flat rate bid?

Thanks again for the information.
Daniel P.
Tualatin, OR
Post #: 36

As you gain more experience as a freelancer you determine how many minutes or hours a task will take.

My bids depend on:

• How original the look is? Can I just use a pre-built theme, theme framework, or do I custom design and code a theme? Do I hire a graphic designer for the theme? Is the Home page different than the secondary pages? How many different Page templates do I need?
  • Are the features integrated using free Plugins? Do I need to buy a premium plugin? Do I need to write my own plugin? Do I hire a freelance developer to create the plugin?
  • The number of pages and posts. Do I need to migrate their content from old to WordPress?

My bids range from $500 to $27,000 depending on the scope of the project.

Always stipulate one payment up-front to get started, and multiple payments as key milestones are delivered. Account for on-going support by phone and email.

All the best in your business.