Portland WordPress Meetup Message Board › mobile versions of WordPress sites

mobile versions of WordPress sites

Marsha L.
catwingz
Portland, OR
Post #: 8
There is a lot of debate about the best solution to this and I am wondering if this group has anything that approaches a consensus.

Setting aside responsive solutions, there are WordPress themes that are designed specifically for mobile, options that are called themes but are really plugins, and then there is the question of whether the best solution for the separate themes is to install them as subdomains, sub-directories, or with their own url like .mobi. SEO posts add the issue of potential duplicate content to the mix.

While the choice between plugin vs theme seems to come down to the nature of the site and its content, the reading I have done regarding actual themes seems to weigh in favor of sub-directories with the addition of canonical tags to resolve potential duplications.

Please add your thoughts and let's see where this leads…!
Daniel P.
tualatinweb
Tualatin, OR
Post #: 62
My approach is to develop a custom theme in WordPress that is responsive, using CSS media queries. I code for three screen sizes:

• Desktop
  • Tablet
  • SmartPhone

The visitor always browses to www.my-domain-name.com

In general the desktop displays all columns, the tablet only two columns, and the SmartPhone a single column.

Each screen size has it's own logo sized to fit the device.

The SmartPhone has a compact menu that expands with a single click.