Portland WordPress Meetup Message Board › What makes a good code review meetup?

What makes a good code review meetup?

Daniel B.
danielbachhuber
Portland, OR
Post #: 2
Weston suggests we do another code review meetup: http://www.meetup.com...­

I love this idea, because I loved the original idea, but I want to make sure we rethink things a bit because the last one flopped. Everyone wanted to have a code review meetup — no one submitted their code review. We managed to get through it by pulling code to review from the audience.

What are some ways do you think we could make a code review evening awesome? Awesome means many people participating, learning, and benefitting.
Weston R.
westonruter
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
What if we all publicly provide URLs to the code that we are wanting to be reviewed beforehand? Perhaps last time everyone thought someone else would submit something for review. But if we can all see what each other is submitting (or not submitting) we'll have visibility into what kinds of things are being shared and if we should also submit something for review.
Faddah Steve Yuets...
faddah
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
i agree with weston. i'd say we'd have to have a minimum of no less than three (count 'em, three (3) ) people with code examples they want reviewed with links to pastebin or github with a description of the issue they want reviewed (something throws an error every time, want to see if there is a way for speed improvement or load balancing, etc.). or if one example is really long, problematic and hellacious, we could go with that, but it'd have to be a doozy. don't meet those criteria a day before the meet-up? message goes out that the meeting is canceled. done.
Michael F.
mfields
Portland, OR
Post #: 11
What if the focus of the meetup was not "code review as a presentation" rather "individual code reviews". Maybe we could make a list of reviewers and another list of those who have code to review. During the meetup we could then split into pairs and the code reviews could happen a bit more privately.

Perhaps one reason we did not get a lot of submissions last time is the embarrassment factor. I know I wouldn't want my project put under a microscope in public like this :) Making them more private may result in more participants which means more code gets reviewed which will lead to less occurrences of query_posts() and more data being escaped and validated.
Weston R.
westonruter
Portland, OR
Post #: 2
+1 Great idea, Michael.