The Portland Shiba Inu Meetup Group Message Board › Shiba Puppy Training

Shiba Puppy Training

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi, we just recently got an 8 week old Shiba Inu puppy name Koto. We have a chihuahua mix, but are very new to the breed. We are hoping to get lots of advice on all of the basics. Right now our biggest thing is him screaming when he is put into his crate or ex pen. We live in a condo, so our concern is the neighbors complaining. Any advice?
Logan
user 8997860
Medford, OR
Post #: 19
I would suggest working with a trainer that is experienced with the breed, and make sure that Koto understands he is not being punished by being put in the crate or pen. Try putting him in it while you're at home, just going about doing your daily business. Giving your dog toys to keep their attention off the fact you're not there to interact with them helps, and try rewarding him if he does good in solidarity. I have a mini book on kenneling/crating for dummies if you're interested, no cost to you. :) I hope this helps!
Roger J.
user 83057852
Portland, OR
Post #: 4
Hana was not in love with her Crate at first, but like Logan said, we made sure she was rewarded and praised and didn't try to make it feel negative.

I echo Logan's note on getting a trainer who knows Shiba's. I'll also add that good socialization is important at a young age. We took Hana to many many "Puppy playgroups" at Wonder Puppy in NW Portland. These helped Hana learn to interact with other dogs of all breeds, which is of tremendous benefit to her and to us.
A former member
Post #: 2
Thank you for the advice. We woud be intererested in that book. Do you guys know of any good trainers that know the shiba breed well? The problem we are having is that he's ok when he goes into his crate at night after a little bit of crying. The issue is when he wakes up in the middle of the night and we take him out to potty, he screams after that in the crate and doesn't want to stay in there. Additionally, Is there a way we can potty pad train the puppy? He refuses to go on one and holds it until we take him out, but when we go to work, we wanted to put him in the ex pen with a potty pad so he can relieve himself.
Roger J.
user 83057852
Portland, OR
Post #: 5
I can only speak from my experience from Hana, but we let her hold it while we were at work form the start. We quickly developed a routine where we walked in the AM which included all her business, then right after work. Even now with a dog door and fenced in yard with grass, she won't go in our yard, which is a double edged sword of course. When the both of us had extended work days, we had a walker take her out at lunch.
Jessica Johnson D.
user 14567195
Lake Oswego, OR
Post #: 9
He'll get over the crying after midnight potty breaks. Also, if start taking food & water from him about an hour before bed, & take him out right before bed, he should be good until morning & you can start the process of letting him cry it out during the night. It's heartbreaking, but once dex (my Shiba) got the hang of it life was easier. :) Also, I remember trying potty pads with Dex & he just ate them...ha But, Shiba's are probably one of the easiest breeds to potty train--dex wasn't having accidents inside after a couple of weeks. We did the same thing in the morning with food & water--we took him out right when we woke up (5:30 a.m.), gave food & water, then took it away an hour before leaving for the day & took him out one last time before we left. Now, we leave his food and water down all the time, & he self monitors--he eats when we're home.

Sorry for such a long post! Ha I do have a trainer that we have worked with since dex was 2 mths; her name is Morgan Pierce & she's at Performance Canine--it's her company. They train, do doggy daycare, boarding, & even have a drop off & pick up service for pups. She's fabulous! & helped us through some Shiba stubbornness, which you're sure to encounter! :) good luck!! It's definitely worth all the work! :)
Jessica Johnson D.
user 14567195
Lake Oswego, OR
Post #: 10
@ Roger Joys, Dexter won't go in our yard either! Haha They're such prideful & funny dogs!
kendal c.
user 13111571
Portland, OR
Post #: 11
There is a product that is a fake grass pad with a bin under it which is used as a potty patch. I don't know its name but I have seen it at petco. As for potty pads it only trained cookie to pee in the house and she had bad aim so I quickly taught her to only do her business outside and she at a young age had no problem holding it during the night as long as I did a walk in the back yard just before bedtime. Good luck
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks everyone for all the advice given. The crying has gone better and now cries less after the 4:00 am potty break. Although we haven't had any luck on the puppy peeing on a pad or newspapers. Another issue we are having is the constant bitting. We have try don't bite and no but nothing seems to be working. Any ideas will be greatly appreciate it.