The Portland Shiba Inu Meetup Group Message Board › reccomendations for a puppy trainer?

reccomendations for a puppy trainer?

Nikki F.
NikkiFranscell
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
I have a 15 week old Shiba and was wondering if anyone has any reccomendations for a good Shiba Inu trainer? I took her to 1 class at Petco, but the trainer has never worked with a Shiba Inu before and I could tell. I never took her back, because I know Shibas require different methods of training than most dogs. I have been trying to find someone or a place that has specifically worked with Shibas. Thanks!
Melody
user 10711377
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 31
I'm interested in finding a good class or trainer too, but my dog is about 3. However, she's a rescue and apparently never learned the basics.
A former member
Post #: 4
We went to the petsmart by washington square and loved Anne. She knew what she was doing when it came to shibas
Roger J.
user 83057852
Portland, OR
Post #: 6
For our Shiba Puppy, we had fabulous success with Wonder Puppy in NW Portland. They offer both a variety of training programs and basic puppy playgroups where puppies learn good socialization skills.
Maggie
keyinherpocket
Group Organizer
Portland, OR
Post #: 7
We have taken four classes at Happy-Go-Lucky Dog Training. We chose Happy-Go-Lucky partly because it is close to our home and partly because it was recommended by NW Shibas4Life.

Our favorite trainer by far was Lisa Plymale and recommend her without hesitation. Lisa was great with our Shiba and another Shiba in one of our puppy obedience classes. They only use positive methods which I think is the best match for Shibas because you are figuring out how to motivate them and not forcing them to bend to your will. Lisa also had many different suggestions on how to approach an undesirable behavior when her initial advice wasn't working. It was a lot of fun and they gave us lots of resources for working on our training at home. I am thinking of enrolling in the Action & Distraction class this summer!