add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

PDX Web & Design Message Board › Flash video

Flash video

Phillip K.
user 11171638
West Linn, OR
Post #: 1
I really am curious about what professionals are promising HTML5 as a complete replacement for all Flash based video. There was a discussion tied to the Adobe meeting--and Eric asked to have it moved here. So, here it is.
A former member
Post #: 7
There's theory and there's practice, and budgets will most definitely restrict how much of a theory you can put into practice. I'm fairly certain that we'll see HTML5 video support get better and better. In the last 18 months though, I've had to spec a fair number of video solutions, and all of the clients wanted legacy support for non-HTML5 browsers. None of them had a problem with requiring Flash as a fallback over adding another encoding format to their video workflow/storage. Only in the last two months have I had a client ask for WebM encoding. In the end, I advise on a solution or solution set that satisfies the target requirements. If a client wants to support Firefox without a plugin, then WebM is a necessity.