addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

New Orleans Permaculture Message Board › Urban Gardening Site

Urban Gardening Site

Sara
user 6951809
Hammond, LA
Post #: 36
Hi folks,
I live about an hour from New Orleans and I work for our regional land trust. The land trust has some property in the city, about 5 residential blocks, that we are considering using as an urban gardening site or public park. Since I don't make it into the city very often, I am interested in finding local people who may want to participate in the development and maintenance of this garden. I'm sorry I don't have many details right now, but please let me know if you might be interested. Maybe I can arrange an informational meeting. I am hopeful that the project could be a good demonstration and meetup site, so that no one would have to invite large groups out to their private garden spaces.

A former member
Post #: 210
hello,
i would be very intersted in this i live in hammond my self. and have family that live near new orleans.
nathalie
Joseph M.
user 12140585
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 6
Hi Sara, I just saw this! I'm very interested in finding out more. We will most likely be losing our guerrilla Permaculture garden at some point, and it would be nice to find a replacement!
Joseph

Hi folks,
I live about an hour from New Orleans and I work for our regional land trust. The land trust has some property in the city, about 5 residential blocks, that we are considering using as an urban gardening site or public park. Since I don't make it into the city very often, I am interested in finding local people who may want to participate in the development and maintenance of this garden. I'm sorry I don't have many details right now, but please let me know if you might be interested. Maybe I can arrange an informational meeting. I am hopeful that the project could be a good demonstration and meetup site, so that no one would have to invite large groups out to their private garden spaces.

Sara
user 6951809
Hammond, LA
Post #: 37
Ok folks, I recently found out that this property is located on the West Bank off of Nolan St. It is out there by the river, about .25 acres (11000 sq ft total, for 5 lots) and currently covered in vegetation-- probably weedy, tallow trees, etc. We can get it bush-hogged and we (Land Trust for SE LA- the owners) are looking to turn it into a park or garden. If it seems like a place that would be accessible, then maybe we (the permaculture group) can meet up and go out to the site. If it seems like it may be out of the way for most of you, and then I'm not sure if it would be worth it to garden-- but it may still be a good site for an orchard or some other lower-maintenance project. It is actually down there near the border of Orleans/Plaquemines Parish and there is a wilderness park nearby.
Joseph M.
user 12140585
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 8
That's pretty far afield for Helen and me. We'd be willing to come help out for a tree planting in late winter/early spring if you decided to do an orchard there.