Eastern Pennsylvania Permaculture Guild Message Board Eastern Pennsylvania Permaculture Guild Discussion Forum › We'd like YOUR input for future events with the EPPG!

We'd like YOUR input for future events with the EPPG!

Joy
joyjam1
Souderton, PA
Post #: 44
Hi folks! We'd like your feedback on what kinds of things you want to see happen with the Eastern PA Permaculture Guild.

Do you want more of something? Would you like to see some new things? Do you want to share your skills? Maybe you'd like more social gatherings to meet fellow members?

Whatever is, or has been, on your mind, please let us know. We'd like to start planning some events for the upcoming Fall/Winter seasons, and would like to know what YOU want. This group belongs to all of us, and your input is important!

THANKS!
~Joy
Joanne G.
JoanneGuth
Slatington, PA
Post #: 1
Is there a way to make sub-groups so we can connect with people in our area? That way we could get together more frequently, informally, and cheaply, for example to maybe work outside, cook, and/or eat together. Field trips, hikes, and biking are also nice. I haven't been a member very long, but what I'm usually seeing so far is events that are too expensive and far away, even in other states. I live in the Lehigh Valley.
Nathan Amato J.
user 105783412
Southeastern, PA
I agree with Joanne. I'm also new and would love to see things closer to the Lehigh Valley.
Joy
joyjam1
Souderton, PA
Post #: 45
Thanks for your feedback! We'll definitely keep this in mind.
Please know that members are always welcome to post to the discussion board or mailing list and inquire about those living in their area. Or, if you'd like to offer to host a get-together at your home, that would also be fine!
A former member
I am new to this group. I am glad I joined. I enjoy the informative emails and knowledge being shared. I would like to share my experience in working with soil biology and brewing and extracting compost tea. I don't know if others in this group also have knowledge in this aspect of organic land care or if it has been discussed in the past. I have learned over the last few years that the proper biology needs to be present in the soil for a plant to thrive. I said my peace. Thanks!
john s.
user 42190642
Southeastern, PA
I would like to see meetings)s) on starting over. Re-thinking my garden/
Linds
user 56737442
Frenchtown, NJ
Greetings! I am new to the group, and actually located just on the other side of the river in western NJ. We have small permaculture farm with 5 acres in cultivation, and another 5 going into installation next season. The project is by all means a work-in-progress, but so far we have implemented earthworks and grading to alleviate water issues, installed 3 catchment ponds, several hugelkulture beds, and have a young forest garden in place. The transformation has been fairly radical, moving from an abandoned, degraded, marginal plot of land with prohibitive limitations, to an evolving productive ecosystem. I'd like to throw our place into the mix as a site for potential meet-ups. There is a lot of applied theory opportunities to learn from, and hopefully useful to others. Many thanks for bring people together and fostering a great community! - Lindsay, Fields Without Fences
Fred K.
FredKittelmann
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 11
I think we should actually DO things - getting together to implement projects of a permaculture nature. Yes, we all (or most of us) do our own little this and that, but we could be much stronger together.

I want to second (or third) the geography thing. It would be a helpful route to such. We should have something like a google map app, or if we had a website I could use some code I wrote for hOURS (which tech modality isn't important, but having one is) whereby we can all find nearby others to collaborate with. I made the case for this like 3 or 4 years ago - settled for an e-mail to the list asking if there was anyone else in south Philly. That led to me meeting Robyn Mello, and that led to MEEP and Occupy Vacant Lots. Freaky good fortune perhaps, but I think there are dozens more good things like that that could be happening.
Joy
joyjam1
Souderton, PA
Post #: 46
I agree that we should do things, too, Fred. I had thought about a Google map a while back, but privacy is a big deal. A lot of people don't want someone to be able to roll up to their house. And yes, I know that you don't have to put your exact address in a map, but everyone does not necessarily possess the same level of internet savvy, and some of those map api's can be confusing. I will think on this further and see if anything works out.

In the meantime, I'd really like to have some kind of get together, roundtable, skill-sharing session or bartering day or something, before the end of the year so people can intermingle and share information.

Maybe we talk about a certain topic, like "life after the PDC", or "integrating non-physical aspects of life with permaculture", for example. I'm really trying to nurture a collaborative rather than a top-down process here. THAT could even be a topic- "top-down hierarchy in permaculture and community".

I want to hear what YOU want, and are willing to participate in. If anyone has any ideas of things they've wanted to see, please speak up!
:)