Hip & Well Read Message Board › book ideas here...

book ideas here...

Casey R.
user 14379706
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 2
I second A Moveable Feast, I read parts of it years ago and would love to go back and reread/finish now that I have been to Paris.

I would also suggest The Orphan Master's Son By Adam Johnson which I have been hearing about on and off for a few months now
Kali
user 7187609
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 2
I still would love to read American Dervish. I also think Tenth of December would be a good choice. I've heard a lot of good things about it.
Michelle
user 8289180
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 69
I'd also like to read American Dervish. I've had it up in at least 2 or 3 polls and it never wins. Maybe we should just decide to read it anyway? If it gets enough love here on the discussion board I'll plan it out.
Preston w.
user 14529127
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 1
A lot of the suggestions below sound great- is there any way to know which have already been read?
Michelle
user 8289180
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 70
Feel free to suggest a book, even if it's been read before.

You can check if you like by scanning through past meetups. I can only tell you from when I took over the club. Before me there were 2 other organizers.
Jesús
user 55930112
Philadelphia, PA
Just to piggyback on other comments:

Tenth of December, bruv...
Mary W.
user 81487532
Philadelphia, PA
Some books I have been wanting to read:

The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
American Pastoral - Philip Roth
Casey R.
user 14379706
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 3
Michelle are we going to do a classic over the summer again? I really enjoyed that last year.
A former member
Post #: 3
I'd like to discuss "The Garlic Ballads" by Mo Yan. He recently won the Nobel Prize for Literature.
Michelle
user 8289180
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 71
Michelle are we going to do a classic over the summer again? I really enjoyed that last year.

Yup! Every summer we have at least 1 "summer classic read".

Feel free to make recommendations for that too!