addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Hip & Well Read Message Board › Philly writers conference Sept. 22

Philly writers conference Sept. 22

Michelle
user 8289180
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 65
FYI, received an email regarding an upcoming writing conference that some of you may be interested in.

Meetup Message from: Mike Ingram, via Hip & Well Read
Philly writers conference Sept. 22

Hi Michelle,

I just wanted to pass along some info on an upcoming Philly writing conference that some of the Hip & Well Read members might be interested in, if they're writers as well as readers. The magazine I co-edit, Barrelhouse, is one of several local sponsors; we've run the conference for the past several years in D.C., but this is our first time in Philly. So any help in spreading the word is definitely appreciated.

It's a one-day conference (Sept. 22) at University of the Arts, with a keynote address by Stewart O'Nan, and panels on writing and publishing with local authors including Ken Kalfus, Katie Ford, Paul Lisicky, and Laura van den Berg, and editors from Ploughshares, The Believer, Painted Bride Quarterly, and Barrelhouse Magazine.

http://writersconnect...­

The conference is sponsored by non-profits, and the cost is pretty low: $65 ($55 for students). In addition to the craft sessions and panels, attendees will get "speed dating" sessions with editors, where they can get feedback on their work, as well as a free happy hour, a book of their choice, and a one-year subscription to one of the sponsoring literary magazines.

I hope some of your members might consider attending. I'm obviously biased, but I think it's a good deal, and something writers at various stages of their careers can get a lot from. Don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions or want more info.

Thanks!

Mike Ingram