Philly 'burbs WordPress Meetup Message Board › Sept BurbsWP Meetup: Topics & Speakers

Sept BurbsWP Meetup: Topics & Speakers

Coreen
Hi all,

We are setting up our September WordPress Meetup and are looking for speakers. Please let us know if you, or anyone you know, could sign up for the following:

5-minute presentations, topics will be:

• WordCamp - If you've been to a WordCamp before, spend 5 minutes telling the group what to expect, why to go, etc. (October WordCamp is coming, so we want to give people a heads up.)
  • WordPress.com vs. Wordpress.org - Give a quick rundown of the differences of each and why we should choose one over the other based on our site's goals, function, etc.

15-minute presentation, topic of speaker's choice/expertise:

Please submit your ideas for this longer presentation, and we will contact you to confirm. Or, choose from this list of potential topics:

• Frameworks
  • Themes
  • Costs of building and maintaining site
  • Responsiveness - themes, issues, advantages, etc.
  • How to backup and/or move your site
  • Topic of you choice

If you are not interested in presenting, still feel free to suggest topics. We want this to be collaborative and relevant for all, so all suggestions are welcome.

Special thanks to Tom, Owen and Brad for presenting last week, and thanks to all who showed up to our Rock Bottom meetup.

Cheers,

Coreen and Liam

A former member
Post #: 22
Hi Coreen and Liam. What date in September do you plan on having the meetup? I am one of the organizers of WordCamp NYC 2012, and I'll be attending WordCamp Philly. Depending on the date, I might be able to hop down to the Philly Burbs and talk about WordCamp and/or .com vs .org.
Coreen
CoreenT
Collegeville, PA
Post #: 1
Hi Andrew,
We're currently looking at a few possible dates in Sept--Sept 10 and 24 are possibilities among others. We're collecting responses this week of people willing to speak and then will contact people by the end of the week to try and set dates and confirm. So stay tuned, and thanks for volunteering!
Thanks,
Coreen
A former member
Post #: 4
I could talk about either topic you suggested (Wordcamp or WP.com vs. Wp.org) for 5 minutes. I don't claim to be an expert but I attended my first WordCamp in Boston last month. It was great. I also have made sites with both wordpress.com and wordpress.org and have moved a site between the two.
A former member
Post #: 23
Gotcha. The 10th would be perfect for me, as I'll be heading back to NYC from WordCamp Baltimore (after swinging by my mom's place in DC for a couple days). I could easily stop in Philly on the way.
Coreen
CoreenT
Collegeville, PA
Post #: 2
Hi Patricia,

Thanks for the offer! I will add you to our list. Liam and I are checking on possible dates and places to hold our next meetup and would like to get back to all potential volunteers by the end of this week.

--Coreen