add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Philly 'burbs WordPress Meetup Message Board › Understanding Load Times for Wordpress Website

Understanding Load Times for Wordpress Website

David D.
Collegeville, PA
Post #: 1
I know someone who had their website built with Wordpress.

A guy providing SEO services claims that the site has slow load times averaging 4 to 6 seconds.

What can I do to understand if the average load times are typical or what could be done to have a quicker load time?
Chris L.
user 49987762
Aston, PA
Post #: 2
Hi David,

I could bore you with pages of technical jargon as it relates to page speed, but I'll spare you :-)

4-6 second load times are definitely considered "slow" as load speed goes, and that SEO is correct, page load that slow can definitely have a negative impact on SEO. Google now uses page load speed in their search algorithms, so his claims are true.

There are several tools that I use to measure page load time and speed. Here are three that I strongly recommend.

Pingdom Tools
Webpage Tester

The first question to ask after testing the site is, who is hosting that website? 4-6 second load times are typical of shared hosting plans, where server resources are used by multiple websites, thus, slowing down performance.

Changing to a better host will make an immediate and sometimes substantial impact on load times. I would start there first, however, if upgrading to a better host is not an option financially for this person, a quick way to speed up the load times is to eliminate any unnecessary plugin that might be installed, and use a caching plugin like WP Super Cache. That should help a bit, but honestly, not even this is going to make a bad host that much better.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have further questions. Page speed is kind of what I do