Philadelphia Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › tomorrow's hike (food & other matters)

tomorrow's hike (food & other matters)

Jed M.
user 2338273
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Thank You for signing up for tomorrow's hike (or probably today's, by the time you're reading this).  I apologize for the last-minute nature of this message.

If you are planning on coming at least as far as Haverford College with us, please think in terms of bringing food along: a sandwich, a snack, and a quart of water would not be a bad idea.  (I'll try to bring some extra snacks along.)  The Haverford College Student Center will be open, including the information desk, the restrooms, a couple of vending machines, and a TD bank ATM--- but not their food court.  Neither I nor Scott Maits, who will be accompanying us, is familiar enough with the area to guarantee we will find a restaurant, although it would be nice for before we get back on the High-speed Line.  I am minimally familiar (visited in the last ten days) with a good walking route as far as Meeting House Walk (& to Haverford Station); Scott has suggested we go a little farther, to the Bryn Mawr station, possibly along Railroad Avenue.  I'll be doing a little online research this evening, but we may be orienteering a least a bit tomorrow.

The weather looks perfect.  I look forward to seeing you all.

Jed M.
Lee Ann B
user 13045015
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 1
Hi, folks! Sorry to reply all, but I wanted to give you a couple of options for food on your Haverford College hike that won't take you to far off your already established route. I used to live a couple of blocks from the Wynnewood Road Station on the Norristown train line so am very familiar with the area. Sorry I won't be joining you on the hike today, but hopefully this will prove to be useful info.

Carlino's on County Line Road is an Italian deli in the DiBruno's vein with all sorts of prepared foods as well as sandwiches made to order. http://www.carlinosma...­
http://maps.google.co...­

It is roughly halfway between Wynnewood Road and Ardmore Avenue on County Line Road (cross street is Lorraine) and their website says they are open 9 to 4 on Sundays. A really great place to stop and get a sandwich or salad or other snacks to take with you to picnic at the college, and there are some outdoor tables at the store if you want to partake right there.

An even closer option is C&L Produce, right on Haverford Avenue between Wynnewood Road and Lorraine Avenue. They are primarily a produce store with some canned goods, but they also have a full deli and make delicious sandwiches and wraps. No seating area, but also no detour from your route. Only problem is they don't have a website and I couldn't find a phone number, and I think they might be closed on Sundays (very much a mom and pop business). Definitely keep this in mind for future hikes in this area, though.

For a restaurant option, also right on your route you can find Harusame, a full service Japanese restaurant and sushi place with delicious sushi and a full liquor license. Website says they open from 11:30am to 11pm on Sundays. Located right on Haverford Avenue just before Wynnewood Road. Highly recommended.
http://www.harusamere...­

Right across the street from Harusame is a Mexican place with a sports bar vibe that I have never checked out, but would also offer you a different choice in the area.

Have a great walk/hike (it is a lovely day!) and good luck choosing!
Lee